Friday, July 18, 2014

Stacking the Shelves (28) ~ The Siege and Storm Paperback and More!

This is a weekly meme hosted by Tynga's Reviews where we share what books we have recently added to our physical or virtual shelves. I like to use the meme to also give a recap of my week in reading and blogging. 
(Click on the covers to go to Goodreads.)

My Haul

Digital
Freebies
I read Eternal Starling last year (here's my review if you're curious about the book), but it was on a Kindle loan. I liked the book, so I thought I would add it to my Kindle library. It's still free! Witch's Brew is also still free. Providence has gone up to $0.99. Also, both Witch's Brew and Providence have high average ratings.

For Review
I didn't think I would get this one, so getting the approval made me really happy. Thank you so much, Amulet Books!

I'm down to only a couple pending review requests on Edelweiss and Netgalley, so I think this will be my last addition to my review copy pile for awhile.

Bookshelf Additions

Amazon Order
I bought Dream Boy, Midnight Thief, Lola and the Boy Next Door, Siege and Storm, and Kiss of Deception! I've never bought a copy of a book I already had before, but I just needed the Siege and Storm paperback. It's pretty, it has bonus content, and it has my blog name in it! It's one of a lot of blogs listed, but it's still the first time my blog name has ever been in print.


On the Same Page ARC Tour
Thank you to Heather and the girls at On the Same Page for this ARC!

Won
Thank you, Jenn, for Paranoia and swag!
Reading

Read/Finished
If you visited my STS last week, you may notice that I've read three books that I didn't plan to. I made a couple detours to fit my mood. I suddenly decided to start rereading the Harry Potter series, so I'm going to try to reread one each week. Notice that I didn't read Allegiant--I had to kick a book off my immediate TBR to make room for Harry Potter. Yes, I know. Good decision.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling (reread - 5 stars)
Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard (4.5 stars)
A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard (4 stars)
Run to You Part Three: Third Charm by Clara Kensie (4.5 stars)
Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins (4 stars)

Currently Reading
I'm at a very interesting part!

What's Next?
My reading plans from this week got screwed up, so I still have these three to read. I'm also going to try to read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Whatever else I read this week will come from this list: Run to You Parts Four, Five, and Six, The Queen of the Tearling, Say What You Will, Let's Get Lost, Clockwork Princess, Perfect Ruin, Not a Drop to Drink, and Second Chance Summer


Blogging
It was my stop on the Book Blogger Buzz Tour! Check out Gwynn's guest post on books that have killed series for her and enter to win a Kindle Fire.

I picked Lies We Tell Ourselves as my WoW this week and helped reveal the cover for Lucas Mackenzie and the London Midnight Ghost Show.


I posted my goals for the Clear Your TBR Pile Challenge. You all should consider joining me!

I wrote about my reviewing process and went into details on the steps I take to write and post them. I included pictures of some notes I've taken and explained why I like to write my reviews by hand before typing them.

In My Life
This week was a lot more eventful than usual . . . but not in a good way. My dog, Sam, cut a major artery in his leg the other day and had to be rushed to the vet. I was super worried about him, but thankfully, he's home now and he's okay. He has stitches in and a whole lot of medication to take, but he's happy.☺

Quite a few people sent me positive thoughts on Twitter, so I want to say thank you to everyone who did that! *Give virtual hugs to everyone*

How was your week? What books did you get?

34 comments:

  1. Nice haul! So many interesting titles.
    Splintered is on my reading list but I haven't managed to get around to reading that one yet either.

    My STS @ Marilyn's Mystery Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many good books! I like the look of Winterkill. I really need to read Lola and The Boy Next Door too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really excited about Winterkill, hopefully that will be arriving on my doorstep in the next few days. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's really cool having your blog's name in a book like that, even if it is one of many! Hope you enjoy your new books -- I'm intrigued by the look of Winterkill.

    My StS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued by the look of it too. :)

      Delete
  5. It's always awesome to have your blog name appear in print. You got some interesting books. Kiss of Deception was awesome.

    Grace
    Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice haul!! Having your blog mentioned in print in a book is totally brilliant!! What's the bonus content for the paperback, btw?
    So glad to hear your dog is okay!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's an interview with Leigh Bardugo and a short story (The Tailor). I haven't read them yet, though.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear that your dog is doing better and you also have some great looking books. Thanks for stopping by My Haul!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome haul! I'm super excited to read the Midnight Thief and Kiss of Deception! And congrats on having your blog in a book! That's super cool! And I loved the Strange and Deadly series. Have fun reading Strange and Ever After! I can't wait for its release day. And I loved Splintered. I hope you like it! Jeb and Morpheus are super swoony ;) I'm jealous that you have Heir of Fire! Chaol<3 Also, I'm glad to hear that your dog is okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen Jeb and Morpheus mentioned around quite a bit. I still haven't read the book, so I haven't met them yet. :(

      Delete
  9. I actually wasn't a huge fan of Splintered. But I also just finished its sequel and enjoyed that one quite a bit more. So even if you don't love it, I'd say it's definitely worth continuing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear! I have the sequel, so I do intend to read it.

      Delete
  10. awwww... i'm sorry to hear about your dog. glad he's okay. awesome haul this week. i got an ARC of winterkill when i went to the ALA conference but i shipped it so i didn't have to carry with me on my flight but the box have yet to arrive. now, i'm worried it's lost. sigh. hope you enjoy it! happy reading :)

    hope you can stop by my StS Post.

    -michelle @ Michelle & Leslie's Book Picks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad he's okay too! I hope your ARC arrives soon. Lost packages are so annoying.

      Delete
  11. Great haul you've got there. I see you've got Winterkill, you lucky bird ;) I'm sorry about your dog, though. Glad he's okay now!

    My new pretties :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cool that your blog name is listed in Siege and Storm! :)
    I’ve heard about Winterkill and it sounds pretty interesting! I hope you’ll like it.
    After reading the new short story on Pottermore, I’m also in a Harry Potter rereading mood at the moment. So far I’ve been able to resist the urge to reread the whole series back-to-back – my TBR pile wouldn’t approve – but who knows how much longer I’ll be able to hold out. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was a new short story! That sounds cool.

      Delete
  13. Sorry for your dog but I'm glad it's okay now. Witch's Brew seems like a nice book---love witches!! And, wow, I didn't know Midnight Thief was in paperback yet (if it is in paperback. o.O) Can't wait to see what you'll think of Splintered, have it in my library and will read it soon. ^^ This week I bought Eleanor & Park on Book Outlet and can't wait to read it!

    Happy reading!

    Lola @ Hit or Miss Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midnight Thief is in hardback! It does look like a paperback in the photo, huh? Eleanor & Park is an amazing book. I hope you love it. :)

      Delete
  14. I noticed your blog name when I read the paperback!! Also, I am sorry about your dog, but so, so glad that he is okay! I am so interested in reading Winterkill, and just got Something Strange and Deadly too. I will probably end up needing the rest of them as well :) And good call about kicking off Allegiant ;) Hope you enjoy all the new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that you noticed it! :)

      Delete
  15. YAY! I'm also in the Siege and Storm (and Shadow and Bone) paperback editions! I think it's so great that Macmillan did that :D I really like Something Strange and Deadly, but not so much books two or three. Unfortunately for me, because I love Susan! But that's okay, there's always Truewitch :) I loved Splintered (and Unhinged)! I'm reading Heir of Fire in a few weeks... I need to set aside like half a day to read/get through that one (in which I refer not only to the length but the emotional trauma LOL).

    Have a fabulous weekend, Kaitlin! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Macmillan is awesome. :) I'm so excited for Truewitch! Just the title and author alone makes me want to read it.

      Delete
  16. Cool haul. I've heard good things about the Providence series by McGuire. Hope you enjoy your new reads :)

    Happy Sunday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh, blog name in the acknowledgments! So exciting! :) Heard good things about Midnight Thief, and of course Lola! Awh, poor Sam, :( glad he's okay!

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.