Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Tiny Review ~ Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Series: Throne of Glass #2
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 420
Publication date: August 21st, 2013
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Goodreads Description: 
"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for. 
Source: purchased

This book--this entire series--has everything. Great world-building. Interesting world building. Big, awesome twists. Magic. Danger. Loss. Betrayal. Aching pain and sadness. Assassins. A kickass heroine that can be delightful at times and downright frightening at other moments. Spine-tingling, scary scenes. Heartwarming ones. Amazing romance. Devastating romance. Chaol. Dorian. Corruption. Royalty. Secrets. A talking doorknocker. Lots of weapons. Lots of blood. Character growth. Character flaws. Friendship. Great writing. A very good cliffhanger (translation: it may hurt for a lot of readers). Surprises. FEELS.

Everything.

Crown of Midnight pushed this series onto my favorites list. I really liked Throne of Glass and I loved The Assassin's Blade, but this book . . . this book blew me away. 

I can't recommend this series enough. If you haven't started it yet, I suggest reading Throne of Glass as soon as you possibly can. Who knows? Maybe this is your next favorite series!

I've never used a gif in a review, but I think I'll just leave this here . . . 


Oh, and I must include this one . . . it just reminds me of Celaena. She is the last person you want to mess with.


What is one of your top favorite fantasy books/series?

8 comments:

  1. YAY!! You have no idea how glad I am that you loved it!! Throne of Glass is one of my favorite series :) Chaolaena <3 But oh geez that ending ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Chaolaena! I haven't loved a couple as much as them for awhile.

      Delete
  2. Right?! Ugh I love this series with all of my soul! I think my heart might just burst when I get my hands on a copy of Heir of Fire!

    Amanda @ Of Spectacles and Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, technically I haven't read your review yet.. just the couple of lines at the end :) I'm reading Throne of Glass at the moment and I'm really, really drawn into the book so I'm excited to read on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YESSSS!! Crown of Midnight gave the WORST book hangover last year!! Such an awesome book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, awesome is a great way to describe it. :D

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.