Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (27) ~ "Dexter" Meets "The Grudge"

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

What am I waiting on?

The Girl from the Well by Rin Chupeco
Releasing August 1st, 2014 by Sourcebooks Fire
Goodreads description:
You may think me biased, being murdered myself. But my state of being has nothing to do with the curiosity toward my own species, if we can be called such. We do not go gentle, as your poet encourages, into that good night.  

 A dead girl walks the streets.

She hunts murderers. Child killers, much like the man who threw her body down a well three hundred years ago.

And when a strange boy bearing stranger tattoos moves into the neighborhood so, she discovers, does something else. And soon both will be drawn into the world of eerie doll rituals and dark Shinto exorcisms that will take them from American suburbia to the remote valleys and shrines of Aomori, Japan.

Because the boy has a terrifying secret - one that would just kill to get out. 

The Girl from the Well is A YA Horror novel pitched as "Dexter" meets "The Grudge", based on a well-loved Japanese ghost story.   
 Why am I waiting on it?
First of all, the title. "The Girl from the Well" just intrigues me. Even before I saw the cover or read the description, I was excited to read this. I love a good YA horror book, and I love reading books based on stories from other cultures. I don't read many books that are set in Japan or that have Japanese culture (like names, well-loved stories, etc.), so this book looks so incredibly interesting.

That's my WoW this week! What's yours?

27 comments:

  1. That sounds so good, I am trying to figure out why I just heard about it now! :D

    Amber @ The Book Bratz
    My Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it around that much, so maybe that's why?

      Delete
  2. YES! I am SO excited for this! I haven't read much YA horror, but I want something to scare the heck out of me, and hopefully this will!

    Rachel @ Beauty and the Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want something to scare me too! Not many books do.

      Delete
  3. I just started this one actually. Spooky. Hope you do soon :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    Shane @ Itching for Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not the first time I've seen this book around but it is the first time I've read the summary and now I'm super intrigued! Sounds super unique and creepy! Adding to the TBR list!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for more YA horror! This sounds really creepy and awesome. I'm definitely going to have to check it out when it's released. The title, cover, and synopsis all look great. Also "Dexter" meets "The Grudge"? YES, please. Thanks for sharing. :)
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a lot of YA horror coming out later this year and in 2015, so you'll probably like that. :) You're welcome!

      Delete
  6. This just looks like all kinds of awesome! I love everything from the creepy cover and the shiver inducing blurb. I can tell it's going to be an amazing YA horror book.
    Great pick! :)

    Nick - My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more amazing YA horror, too. :)

      Delete
  7. creeepppyyyyy!! i've seen this one around and it just makes me so excited. I hope it'll be as thrilling as it sounds, Great Pick!

    Nemo @ Blame it on the Book

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh, I finished it the other day and while I'm a little disappointed with it, it has some really freaky scenes, so on the horror part? Yup. :)

    Here's mine

    Kirsty @ StudioReads

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one has a lot of interesting reviews on it. I hope you like it when you get it. It sounds really good and different.

    Grace
    Books of Love

    ReplyDelete
  10. How the hell didn't I hear about this before? It sounds like my type of book! Such a great choice for your WoW post, another book to add to my TBR shelf.
    My Wow: http://reading-is-dreaming-with-open-eyes.blogspot.hu/2014/07/waiting-on-wednesday-4-nikki-urang-hit.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good thing you stopped by and discovered this book, then. :)

      Delete
  11. This one sounds so creepy! I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really good and horrifying, I'll need to read this in the daytime

    Keely @ ireaditandwept

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this sounds really creepy. Don't think its exactly my style, but I do like the idea that its exploring other cultures.

    Here’s my WoW for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Creepy...I love creepy! On my list you go.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.