Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday (28) ~ Black vs. White

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking the Spine that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

What am I waiting on?

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
Releasing September 30th, 2014 by Harlequin Teen
Goodreads description:

In 1959 Virginia, the lives of two girls on opposite sides of the battle for civil rights will be changed forever.

Sarah Dunbar is one of the first black students to attend the previously all-white Jefferson High School. An honors student at her old school, she is put into remedial classes, spit on and tormented daily.

Linda Hairston is the daughter of one of the town’s most vocal opponents of school integration. She has been taught all her life that the races should be kept “separate but equal.”

Forced to work together on a school project, Sarah and Linda must confront harsh truths about race, power and how they really feel about one another.

Boldly realistic and emotionally compelling, Lies We Tell Ourselves is a brave and stunning novel about finding truth amid the lies, and finding your voice even when others are determined to silence it. 
 Why am I waiting on it?
This looks like such a thought-provoking read. A powerful one, too. I rarely ever see a book that focuses on race quite the way that this one does. I find pretty much anything related to civil rights to be really interesting, so the idea of a YA book set in that time period seems like such a good one for me. This one looks like one that I could love.

That's my WoW this week! What's yours?

20 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for this one! I think it will be one of those books that'll be a *must* read, and will definitely make everyone stop and think. And it seems to be getting pretty great reviews so far too :) Such a great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love books that can make me stop and think. They usually go well for me!

      Delete
  2. I have seen this one around and it's hard not to be intrigued by it. I haven't seen a book that deals with civil rights in this way. Great pick :)

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be more books that deal with civil rights! It's such an interesting topic.

      Delete
  3. I am super excited for this one - can't wait to read it!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meaningful, thought provoking books and this one is a great pick Kaitlin! I hope you get the chance to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won a copy of it on Twitter, so I will get a chance to read it!

      Delete
  5. This looks really cool, and I adore historical fiction from this century. I feel like there's not a ton of it nowadays. Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard of it until now!

    Cassie @ Happy Book Lovers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen many of them, which is disappointing. They can be really interesting stories!

      Delete
  6. I agree it does sound very though provoking. And that is such a wonderful cover, great pick! :)

    Nemo @ Blame it on the Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that cover! It seems to represent the story real well.

      Delete
  7. this one is going to be a very talked about book. I have been a lot of good reviews for this one. Solid WOW pick.

    Grace
    Here's my WOW

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an ARC of this book and I will be reading it soon, it sounds fantastic and something quite different from what I've reading as of late!
    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm actually not too interested in this book, but I know how popular it is! I hope you enjoy it when you read it, Kaitlin :)

    Have a great rest-of-the-week!

    Check out my WoW post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this will be a very emotional and eye opening read. Not sure if it's for me but I am intrigued :D

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're intrigued by this book. :)

      Delete

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.