Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Review ~ Harrow by Amanda Troyer


Series: standalone (?)
Genre: YA horror
Pages: 271
Publication date: August 27th, 2014
Publisher: Ivory Deer Books

Book Blurb:
Sixteen-year-old Brenna doesn’t believe her vivid imagination can hurt her, until she wakes up in a church, covered in blood. Blood that isn’t hers.

She thinks her life can’t get much worse, but when she finally finds a way to escape her abusive home, her imagination turns to nightmarish hallucinations.

Niven likes staying inside the abandoned church, hiding from his violent father. The two bond through art and misery, but Brenna knows good things in her life don’t last long.

Her delusions take a horrific turn when she thinks she sees two men gruesomely murdered by a monster in the church basement, but in the end, she’s the one with blood on her hands.
Source: I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed reading Harrow. It had a good feel to it and seemed to be well paced. It was what I was in the mood for: a shorter book set in the modern world that had creepy and interesting things going on. I was reading a fantasy (which I wasn't in the mood for) that I felt like I was slogging through, and this one was nice to read alongside it. 

Throughout the book, it felt...jumpy? I'm not even sure if that's the correct way to describe it. Most of the time, I wasn't able to picture the scenes in my head very well. Quite a few scenes confused me because I couldn't picture them. Some of the dialogue/conversations confused me too. I'm not exactly sure why. It may be me. It may be the book. I don't know....

The book had some pretty good horror elements to it (meaning: the creepy stuff, the blood, the hallucinations), but it didn't creep me out that much. Horror with a lot of psychological elements are the ones that scare me more, but this book didn't seem to have enough of those for me to call it a creepy one. Nevertheless, I still really liked the horror elements. They made the book seem different than what I usually read, which is one of the reasons why I like reading horror so much.

The relationships--between the sisters, the dad and the sisters, Wyatt and Brenna--weren't poorly developed, but I feel like they could have been developed a lot more. I think that would've helped me form much better connections with the characters.

Overall, I enjoyed reading Harrow despite the areas in which it lacked. It was something I was in the mood for, so it felt nice to read!

My question for you:

What makes a book creepy for you?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.