Monday, August 4, 2014

Rough Review ~ The Ring and the Crown by Melissa de la Cruz

Do you ever write notes for a book that you don't need to write a review for and end up just . . . not writing the review? I do that more than I admit. I read The Ring and the Crown back in April but never wrote a review. While going through notes during a review writing session, though, I thought posting my notes instead of a formal review of a book would be something fun and different. I really like the notes I wrote for this book, so I'm making it my first "Rough Review!"


Series: most likely a standalone
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 384
Publication date: April 1st, 2014
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Goodreads Description: 
Princess Marie-Victoria, heir to the Lily Throne, and Aelwyn Myrddn, bastard daughter of the Mage of England, grew up together. But who will rule, and who will serve? 

Quiet and gentle, Marie has never lived up to the ambitions of her mother, Queen Eleanor the Second, Supreme Ruler of the Franco-British Empire. With the help of her Head Merlin, Emrys, Eleanor has maintained her stranglehold on the world's only source of magic. She rules the most powerful empire the world has ever seen. 

But even with the aid of Emrys' magic, Eleanor's extended lifespan is nearing its end. The princess must marry and produce an heir or the Empire will be vulnerable to its greatest enemy, Prussia. The two kingdoms must unite to end the war, and the only solution is a match between Marie and Prince Leopold VII, heir to the Prussian throne. But Marie has always loved Gill, her childhood friend and soldier of the Queen's Guard. 

Together, Marie and Aelwyn, a powerful magician in her own right, come up with a plan. Aelwyn will take on Marie's face, allowing the princess to escape with Gill and live the quiet life she's always wanted. And Aelwyn will get what she's always dreamed of--the chance to rule. But the court intrigue and hunger for power in Lenoran England run deeper than anyone could imagine. In the end, there is only rule that matters in Eleanor's court: trust no one.
Source: I won an ARC from Hafsah.

These are the notes I typed up on my iPod after finishing the book. I haven't edited them in any way, so no, grammatical errors have not been fixed. Also, it does get a teeny bit spoilery at the bottom. It's more a hint to a spoiler than an actual spoiler.


-Lots of rich description
-Many characters to keep track of, though it isn't as overwhelming as it could've been
-The romance is a bit over the top, sappy, and dramatic at times
-There's not much magic
-Would like to see more world building/background, especially when it comes to the magic


-Characters
-Love Wolf and Ronan (he's my favorite)
-Really don't like Leo -->he's false, and he takes advantage of people
-Feel a bit bad for Isabelle 
-Aelwyn - Would like to see more of her magic
-Leo and Wolf are foils --> The public has a misconception of both. The way Wolf is seen is the way Leo really is, and vice versa. They're opposites, and their qualities are enhanced by the comparison of the two.


Theme: Pretending to be someone you're not.


Towards ending:
-Got really exciting. 
-Couldn't pull myself away from the book except to update my Goodreads status every chapter

THE ENDING
-Bittersweet
-Not okay with it, but I understand (sort of) that it had to end that way
-Desperately want a sequel, but doubt there will be one
-Still wanted more magic and background
-Did NOT see some things coming, some of the revelations that were made at the end
-Liked how the book was about not pretending to be someone you're not
-Didn't so much like how the story was about accepting your role/duty because it was like none of the characters went for and got what they wanted in life. (Hence the bitterness.)
-Really liked Marie's growth 

~~~
While I'm sharing notes, I might as well post a picture of my Goodreads updates for this book. (Uh...for chapter 18, that should be "wonder" instead of "ended.")


Question 1:
Have you ever read a book where you just didn't want to accept how it ended? 

Question 2:
What do you think of this style of review? I would like to do more of these for my non-review books every once in awhile to change up my review style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.