Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Rough Review ~ The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutoski

Rough Reviews are not formal reviews. They consist of the notes I take for a non-review book I read and didn't get to writing a review for. 

Series: The Winner's Trilogy #1
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 355
Publication date: March 4th, 2014
Publisher: Farrar Straus Giroux
Goodreads Description: 
Winning what you want may cost you everything you love. 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. 

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. 

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined. 

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.
Source: purchased

All of my notes (unedited, so yes, there may be grammatical errors) I took for The Winner's Curse are in the black. Because they're in paragraphs instead of bullets, I've decided to include my thoughts on what I wrote in blue. I thought this would be fun to do, and you know what? It was fun making comments on things I wrote over a month ago.☺

Bittersweet
Starcrossed romance--they're a bit hopeless. There's just so many obstacles in their way. They're from warring sides. They betray each other. A LOT. People and twists get in the way. Their relationship was interesting to watch. I mostly liked the romance, though I was torn during many moments. Sometimes...it just seemed like they really weren't supposed to be together.

SO MANY T'S. They, their, and they're seem to start too many of the sentences (consecutively at least). I guess this is what I get when I type a string of thoughts out--sentences make the paragraph list-like. Also, my thoughts switch from present to past tense in the middle of my notes. I swear I battle with tenses in every single review I write.

Oh, and I want to add this: Kestral and Arin were basically a disaster of a couple. That's how I'd paraphrase my thoughts on the romance.


The world - the conflict was very interesting. It was an ugly war, one that brought put the worst in characters. There were good intentions that had horrible results for both sides.

I really do mean it by horrible results. So MANY things went wrong because people thought they were doing the right thing. I have to add that it did get annoying at times.


I wish there was more background to the conflict, though. I didn't know much about WHY the world was the way it was, but hopefully, my questions will be answered in book two.

This is a frequent wish of mine with the first books in series. I always want to know why things are the way they are, but I seem to have to wait until book two to get that information. *sighs*


I definitely enjoyed reading this one! I can see why so many people have loved it. It's an exciting read with an interesting plot and some great twists. It has the ability to bring out some feels.

This would've been in the "overall" portion (i.e. the end) of my review. I'm not sure how much I would change, but I'd definitely change "some great twists" to just "great twists," and "some feels" to "the feels."


Characters
Kestral
Arin

Why did my past self only write THIS? Did I mean to write more? Did I just want to remember the names? This doesn't help me. . . .

I didn't connect to the characters as much as I wanted to, but I still thought they were good characters. There were many moments where I was torn on whether I liked them or not--their actions were so ugly at times--but I was able to understand why they were doing the things they were doing.


This would go straight into my formal review. I may have added a few things, but this paragraph puts my point across.

Do you ever write notes for a book but don't understand why you typed/wrote a certain thing later?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.