Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Blog Tour Review ~ Divinity by Michelle L. Johnson

Thank you to Spence City for hosting the blog tour! Here is my review for Divinity.☺

Series: standalone (?) 
Genre: Adult urban fantasy
Pages: 384
Publication date: September 23rd, 2014
Publisher: Spence City
Goodreads Description: 

When Julia climbs into a flaming car to save a trapped child, she's left wondering why either of them survived. Then she learns that her father is the Archangel Gabriel, and that she is half human, half Archangel. With guidance from Michael, the most powerful Archangel, Julia sets out to discover her own history and explore her angelic powers. But her journey is cut short when an evil force, invisible to human and angel alike, tears her world apart. Now Julia must fight through her despair, harness her newfound gifts, and risk her very soul to stop the A'nwel and protect the family she never knew she had. What she doesn't know is that Archangels have secrets too."
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Divinity had a lot of great elements to it. The story itself was a pretty interesting one. There were angels, an evil force, good relationships/bonds, a touch of romance, some dark scenes, and a little bit of grief. I liked all the ideas that went into the book and I really liked how the main character slowly discovered her new gifts and grew stronger and stronger at using them over the course of the book (it wasn't a sudden development). I liked how the story progressed as well as how it alternated between Julia and the Archangels (though that got a bit repetitive at times). It was a nice book to read and I enjoyed it for the most part.

Something about how the scenes and the dialogue was written, though, gave Divinity a bit of a badly-acted-movie feel to it. As a result, the characters and their emotions and actions weren't as convincing as they could've been. I felt a disconnected from the book, which was what brought down my rating the most.

Overall, this was a nice read that moved pretty quickly. Though I didn't connect to it as much as I should've, I still really liked most of the elements to it. They were interesting and I think other readers would like them too!


Question Time!

Have you ever read a book that had many great elements, yet you still felt a little disconnected from it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.