Sunday, September 7, 2014

Mini Reviews ~ The Dolls and Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty

The Dolls 
by Kiki Sullivan

Series: Dolls #1
Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 384
Publication date: September 2nd, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Goodreads

Goodreads Description: 
Eveny Cheval just moved back to Louisiana after spending her childhood in New York with her aunt Bea. Eveny hasn’t seen her hometown since her mother’s suicide fourteen years ago, and her memories couldn’t have prepared her for what she encounters. Because pristine, perfectly manicured Carrefour has a dark side full of intrigue, betrayal, and lies—and Eveny quickly finds herself at the center of it all.

Enter Peregrine Marceau, Chloe St. Pierre, and their group of rich, sexy friends known as the Dolls. From sipping champagne at lunch to hooking up with the hottest boys, Peregrine and Chloe have everything—including an explanation for what’s going on in Carrefour. And Eveny doesn’t trust them one bit.

But after murder strikes and Eveny discovers that everything she believes about herself, her family, and her life is a lie, she must turn to the Dolls for answers. Something’s wrong in paradise, and it’s up to Eveny, Chloe, and Peregrine to save Carrefour and make it right.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

I LOVE the cover of The Dolls. Unfortunately . . . that was the only thing I loved about it. The book was okay. It started off interesting and had some more interesting events in the second half, but mostly, I felt like very little actually happened (especially in the first 50 to 60 percent)--not anything big anyway. The plot didn't feel very strong. The magic didn't feel like it was solidly explained. The main character's personality was . . . I don't even know because she didn't feel fleshed out enough for me to get to really know her. I rarely ever use the word "cliche" to describe books, but throughout the majority of the book, that seemed to be the most fitting word for it. I had mixed feelings on the romance because while I sensed a chemistry between the two characters, it felt too insta-love-y and back-and-forth for me.

Overall, The Dolls was disappointing. The good parts (the chemistry between the characters and the few interesting events in the second half) saved it from a DNF, but they weren't enough to make me give the book more than two stars.



Poisoned Apples: Poems for You, My Pretty 
by Christine Heppermann

Series: standalone
Genre: YA poetry/retellings
Pages: 128
Publication date: September 23rd, 2014
Publisher: Greenwillow Books

Goodreads Description: 
Every little girl goes through her princess phase, whether she wants to be Snow White or Cinderella, Belle or Ariel. But then we grow up. And life is not a fairy tale.

Christine Heppermann's collection of fifty poems puts the ideals of fairy tales right beside the life of the modern teenage girl. With piercing truths reminiscent of Laurie Halse Anderson and Ellen Hopkins, this is a powerful and provocative book for every young woman. E. Lockhart, author of We Were Liars, calls it "a bloody poetic attack on the beauty myth that's caustic, funny, and heartbreaking."

Cruelties come not just from wicked stepmothers, but also from ourselves. There are expectations, pressures, judgment, and criticism. Self-doubt and self-confidence. But there are also friends, and sisters, and a whole hell of a lot of power there for the taking. In fifty poems, Christine Heppermann confronts society head on. Using fairy tale characters and tropes, Poisoned Apples explores how girls are taught to think about themselves, their bodies, and their friends. The poems range from contemporary retellings to first-person accounts set within the original tales, and from deadly funny to deadly serious. Complemented throughout with black-and-white photographs from up-and-coming artists, this is a stunning and sophisticated book to be treasured, shared, and paged through again and again.
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher through Edelweiss in return for an honest review.

Okay...that was not for me! I have discovered that I need MORE--a story, characters, development--from a book for me to become truly invested in it. The poems weren't so bad. I liked the writing. I liked how the poems connected to fairy tales. I liked the dark theme of the poems. Because I didn't find myself invested in this book, though, it left zero impact on me. I feel like it should've, but it fell short. Very short. 

I'm rating this one 1.5 out of 5 stars. One star because the lack of impact made it feel like a pointless read and the extra half star because there were a couple decent things about the book.

Question time!

What was book you read that didn't live up to its beautiful cover?

AND/OR

Are you a fan of poetry?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.