Monday, September 22, 2014

Review ~ Survival Colony Nine by Joshua David Bellin

Genre: YA dystopia
Pages: 336
Publication date: September 23rd, 2014
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Goodreads Description:

In a future world of dust and ruin, fourteen-year-old Querry Genn struggles to recover the lost memory that might save the human race.

Querry is a member of Survival Colony Nine, one of the small, roving groups of people who outlived the wars and environmental catastrophes that destroyed the old world. The commander of Survival Colony Nine is his father, Laman Genn, who runs the camp with an iron will. He has to--because heat, dust, and starvation aren't the only threats in this ruined world.

There are also the Skaldi.

Monsters with the ability to infect and mimic human hosts, the Skaldi appeared on the planet shortly after the wars of destruction. No one knows where they came from or what they are. But if they're not stopped, it might mean the end of humanity.

Six months ago, Querry had an encounter with the Skaldi--and now he can't remember anything that happened before then. If he can recall his past, he might be able to find the key to defeat the Skaldi.

If he can't, he's their next victim. 
Source: I received a review copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Survival Colony Nine was a well written, fast-paced adventure set in a dusty dystopia world. There was a main character grew much over the course of the novel as he struggled with his lost past and discovered he was. The twists took me by complete surprise as I never seemed to predict them until they were right in front of me. The descriptions gave me a good sense of how the landscape looked like (very dry, like in the cover) and how scenes played out. There was an ending that gave a lot of meaning to Querry's story and made me realize just how well the author did with writing this book.


And, the best part for me, there were monsters. Scary, ugly, hollowed-out monsters that almost made me regret reading this late at night. They reminded me of the shapeshifters in Supernatural, the way they took on human's shapes and shed the those skins, but instead of just mimicking the way someone looked, the Skaldi sorta climbed into their hosts' bodies and stole them. These monsters were CREEPY. Not only was it their way of mimicking, but the fact that they a) didn't bleed because they didn't have anything to bleed out (that's just . . . not right to me) and b) imitated humans really well (they were hard to identify among actual people). They were tricky things! The author did such a good job with creating them and making them scary. This was my favorite part of the book!

Overall, Survival Colony Nine was a very good dystopia that I think many fans of the genre will really enjoy reading. It felt very well put together. If you're a fan of survival stories and scary monsters, I highly suggest you give this one a shot!
Question time!

What was the last dystopia you read?

AND/OR

What kind of monsters scare you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.