Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Review ~ Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman

Series: standalone (?)
Genre: YA dystopia (?)
Pages: 319
Publication date: September 9th, 2014
Publisher: Amulet Books
Goodreads Description:

Emmeline knows she’s not supposed to explore the woods outside her settlement. The enemy that wiped out half her people lurks there, attacking at night and keeping them isolated in an unfamiliar land with merciless winters. Living with the shame of her grandmother’s insubordination, Emmeline has learned to keep her head down and her quick tongue silent.

When the settlement leader asks for her hand in marriage, it’s an opportunity for Emmeline to wash the family slate clean—even if she has eyes for another. But before she’s forced into an impossible decision, her dreams urge her into the woods, where she uncovers a path she can’t help but follow. The trail leads to a secret that someone in the village will kill to protect. Her grandmother followed the same path and paid the price. If Emmeline isn’t careful, she will be next. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

*Sighs* I hate giving this rating, but . . . it has to be done.


Winterkill was a book that I instantly wanted to read the moment I discovered it. Between the cover, the description, and the title (which I love), I was really, really excited to read it. I guess it was one of my most highly anticipated September releases. However, the book turned out to be a massive disappointment. I can't even think of anything that I liked other than some of the romance, which I didn't like for very long because it turned too intsta-love-y for me. The plot, the characters, the world/village/place they lived in, and everything else was just so . . . so . . .

description

boring. For a book with such an awesome title, it sure wasn't very interesting.


During the first 100 pages, I was wondering when something important would happen. It took nearly another 100 pages for something interesting to happen, but I went back to being bored shortly after that point. I spent the last 100 or so pages pushing through just for the sake of finishing the book. There seemed to be more happening, but I couldn't bring myself to care that much. I just wasn't invested in the main character's story enough. A lot of the big things that happened didn't seem to matter as much as they should've.
description
I had the same expression on my face as I was reading.

There didn't seem to be any strong aspect to this book, so I can't bring myself to give this book more than one star. I contemplated giving it something a little higher (one-and-a-half or even two stars), but that would be a dishonest rating. There wasn't anything to this book to make me recommend it at all or to go into more detail about in this review.

Overall, Winterkill completely missed its mark with me. My favorite part of the book was the end because it meant I was done with the book, which really shows how much I didn't like reading it. I wish I could've been something--great character development, exciting events, interesting world, a better plot--that would've made me like this book more, but there was just . . . a lack of anything to like very much. This was a very disappointing read.

I'm going to start including my Goodreads reading progress with reviews more often because they're fun to read.☺

Question time!

What has been the most boring book you read?

AND/OR

What was the last disappointing book you read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.