Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Review ~ The Vault of Dreamers by Caragh M. O'Brien

Series: untitled #1
Genre: YA science fiction
Pages: 432
Publication date: September 16th, 2014
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Goodreads Description: 
From the author of the Birthmarked trilogy comes a fast-paced, psychologically thrilling novel about what happens when your dreams are not your own.

The Forge School is the most prestigious arts school in the country. The secret to its success: every moment of the students' lives is televised as part of the insanely popular Forge Show, and the students' schedule includes twelve hours of induced sleep meant to enhance creativity. But when first year student Rosie Sinclair skips her sleeping pill, she discovers there is something off about Forge. In fact, she suspects that there are sinister things going on deep below the reaches of the cameras in the school. What's worse is, she starts to notice that the edges of her consciousness do not feel quite right. And soon, she unearths the ghastly secret that the Forge School is hiding—and what it truly means to dream there.
Source: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Vault of Dreamers started off strong, but the last quarter left me disappointed and upset with some parts of the book.


For the most part, I enjoyed reading it. I really liked what was going on. The reality tv show combined with an art based school was really cool. The romance was decent, though I wanted a guy that wasn't the love interest to be with Rosie (I sensed some good chemistry!) instead of the one that she was actually with. Also, the ideas involving the dreams and the meaning behind the book's title were very interesting. Creepy, too. 

Before the book started sinking, I really liked the main character. She seemed like a decent heroine. However, she irritated me a lot towards the end. Some of her decisions just didn't make any sense. I feel like she was supposed to be a smart girl, but her actions made me question her intelligence. I also didn't get how she got into the school/tv show in the first place. The school was a very selective one that a many people wanted to be in. The students were supposed to be brilliant artists, but I wasn't convinced that they were. Rosie's artistic abilities, especially, weren't convincing. She didn't seem clever like the other characters made her out to be. She didn't seem like a big deal.

Also, she had some sort of inner voice that didn't seem to have much of any point of being in the story. It was very odd.

The ending was very . . . weird. Some things seemed ridiculous while other things were interesting. I'm really glad there's going to be a sequel because there were too many questions left unanswered for it to be a standalone. I'm really looking forward to continuing the series, despite my dislikes. Considering where the story left off, the second book has the potential to be a really, really cool one.

Overall, The Vault of Dreamers was enjoyable yet a little frustrating. The school and the main character could've been a LOT better and there could've been more to the dreams part, but I did enjoy reading the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.