Friday, November 14, 2014

DNF Review ~ Scratch by Rhonda Helms

Series: standalone
Genre: NA contemporary
Pages: 240
Publication date: September 30th, 2014
Publisher: Kensington
Goodreads Description: 
The most painful scars are the ones you never see. 

In her DJ booth at a Cleveland dance club, Casey feels a sense of connection that's the closest she ever gets to normal. On her college campus, she's reserved, practical-all too aware of the disaster that can result when you trust the wrong person. But inexplicably, Daniel refuses to pay attention to the walls she's put up. Like Casey, he's a senior. In every other way, he's her opposite. 


Sexy, open, effortlessly charming, Daniel is willing to take chances and show his feelings. For some reason Casey can't fathom, he's intent on drawing her out of her bubble and back into a world that's messy and unpredictable. He doesn't know about the deep scars that pucker her stomach - or the deeper secret behind them. Since the violent night when everything changed, Casey has never let anyone get close enough to hurt her again. Now, she might be tempted to try. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I had a weird experience with this book. I really liked it at first, but I started disliking it more and more . . . after a sex scene. My thoughts on the book changed quite a bit after that point and I ended up DNFing at 72 percent. 

BEFORE SEX SCENE

Daniel and Casey had great chemistry. I was in the mood for a good romance, and that's what I was getting. The story started off interesting and I was looking forward to Casey's growth throughout the book.

AFTER SEX SCENE

I was starting to dislike the book a little before this point--the thoughts of the MC were getting repetitive and the kissing was getting a little annoying (yes, the kissing)--but this was when things started going downhill fast. The way the romance was written made it seem somewhat cheesy and over the top to me. The words used (I called them "sex words" as I was reading) bothered me because they seemed unnecessary (this was what made the kissing annoying) and awkward. They just didn't work for me in this book and this couple.

This focus of Scratch is definitely on the progress of Casey and Daniel's relationship and Casey's personal growth. That's pretty much it, though. Daniel didn't seem to have hardly any flaws, and since I prefer both characters in a romance to grow and develop, he didn't seem like as great of character as in the beginning of the book. There were a few other characters, but their roles in the story didn't seem as strong as they could've been. I would've appreciated a couple strong side characters. 

The events in the book followed a standard dating pattern: meet, get to know, go on a date, kiss, meet family, etc. While this happens in a lot of romances--and I usually like it--it felt step-by-step in this one. That may have been due to the lack of flaws in the other characters besides Casey and the large focus on just the couple. Also, there was little conflict outside of the one related to Casey's past, so that just made the book even more step-by-step feeling.

OVERALL (OF WHAT I READ)

Scratch started out promising, but after realizing how lacking so many parts were, I decided to DNF and move on. It went from really good to just plain annoying. The book as a whole didn't work for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.