Monday, November 24, 2014

Review ~ The 52nd by Dela


Genre: YA paranormal
Pages: 461
Publication date: October 27th, 2014
Publisher: Wise Ink Creative Publishing
Goodreads Description: 
Not one of the sacrifices chosen over the long history had survived--until now.

On the tip of the Yucatan peninsula, the immortal Castillo family gathers in Tulum. Weary and haunted, they receive the names of fifty-two human sacrifices chosen once every fifty-two years for the Underworld, a tradition thought to have disappeared with the fall of the Aztec and Mayan empires.


Driving home one night, college freshman Zara Moss swerves to avoid hitting a ghastly figure in the road. Lucas Castillo witnesses the car crash, but when it comes time to supervise her abduction from the wreckage, he intervenes. Something is different about Zara: Lucas has been having dreams of her arrival for five hundred years.


As Lucas and Zara come together to put an end to the bloody sacrifices, they discover that the ancient tradition isn't so easily broken. The gods are angry, and they have until the Winter Solstice to drag Zara to the Underworld. 
Source: I received an ARC of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

The 52nd was a refreshing read. The Aztec and Mayan influence/mythology was something new and it made the book so much more interesting than if the authors chose angels or Greek gods to focus on. With the Aztec/Mayan focus came diversity in the characters because many of them were Mexican. 

Zara was a decent heroine. She didn't impress me so much that she was super memorable, but she wasn't bad. I like reading her POV, though.

Lucas was so frustratingly stubborn. He got on my nerves somethings when he wouldn't tell Zara how he felt and go after her. However . . . I have to admit that it was nice that he was being so responsible. He may have annoyed both me and Zara, but I understand why he was being that way. Plus, it made it all the more sweeter when he wasn't being stubborn. I liked them together.

I preferred the romance related parts to the sacrifice/underworld part of the plot. The latter wasn't necessarily not as good. I was just more in the mood for romance at the time that I read it. As a result, there isn't much for me to say about that other side of the book. It was interesting, but wasn't what kept me reading. I stuck with this book to see what would happen between Zara and Lucas than anything else.

Overall, The 52nd was a refreshing read with a great romance. If you're interested in reading a paranormal book with Mayan/Aztec focus, you should give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.