Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Review ~ Every Breath by Ellie Marney

Series: Every #1
Genre: YA mystery
Pages: 352
First published: October 14th, 2013
Publisher: Tundra Books
Goodreads Description: 
When James Mycroft drags Rachel Watts off on a night mission to the Melbourne Zoo, the last thing she expects to find is the mutilated body of Homeless Dave, one of Mycroft's numerous eccentric friends. But Mycroft's passion for forensics leads him to realize that something about the scene isn't right--and he wants Watts to help him investigate the murder. 

While Watts battles her attraction to bad-boy Mycroft, he's busy getting himself expelled and clashing with the police, becoming murder suspect number one. When Watts and Mycroft unknowingly reveal too much to the cold-blooded killer, they find themselves in the lion's den--literally. A trip to the zoo will never have quite the same meaning to Rachel Watts again... 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book exchange for an honest review.

Gah! THIS BOOK. This book was hard to put down. The more I read of it, the more I wanted of Watts, Mycroft, and their crime solving. When I got to the end, I was sad that I didn't have the sequel to dive straight into. Every Breath and all its greatness--the characters, setting, suspense, romance, kissing scenes, murder, and feels--was definitely worth reading!

I'll start with the characters. They had personalities that popped off the page. Mycroft was such an odd guy, but I absolutely loved him. He wasn't the most likable person, but as a character? It seemed hard to NOT like him. Watts was also a great character. She always stuck to her real self, even though she did grow as a person. She was also very supporting of Mycroft--always being there when he needed help and support. I really liked that loyalty. Mai was my favorite side character. She was a great friend and was pretty helpful in Watts and Mycroft's investigation. When things went downhill or got suspenseful, I was very worried for these characters, which is always a good sign.

I absolutely loved Mycroft and Watts together! I kept wanted to push them together and yell, "KISS ALREADY!" They had such good chemistry and the romance was so, so good. They started off as friends and that just made them an even better couple. Also, when kissing finally did happen, it was wonderful. The author sure knows how to write a great kissing scene.

The mystery was done pretty well. It wasn't difficult for me to figure out who the killer was, but I didn't figure out the how and why the murder occurred until Mycroft and Watts did. Their investigation was very interesting (and dangerous at times) and I love the lengths they went to in order to discover the truth behind the death (they went pretty far--hence the "dangerous").

Overall, Every Breath was an amazing book that left me gasping for more (sorry, I saw the opportunity and couldn't resist). I'm definitely looking forward to reading the sequel!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.