Sunday, November 23, 2014

Review ~ Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch

Seres: Snow Like Ashes #1
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 422
Publication date: October 14th, 2014
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Goodreads Description: 
A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.

Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.


Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.


So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own. 
Source: I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved Snow Like Ashes! It was one of my most highly anticipated fall 2014 releases and it (mostly) lived up to my expectations, which were pretty high. It was full of action, excitement, good world building, and great characters.

Meira was a fierce heroine that found her place in the world during this book. Theron was my favorite character, though. Whenever he was in a scene or was around the same area as Meira (as in, under the same roof but not in the scene), the book was AMAZING. Everything was so exciting and wonderful and . . . yeah, like I said, amazing! My thoughts went into all caps mode. When he wasn't around, though, I felt less interested in what was going on. It felt like a lull in the story. The other characters were great, too. I always liked Sir's presence. Mather was decent, but he didn't make much of an impression on me.

I really liked the world in this book. It was interesting and seemed to be well built. The world building didn't weigh me down by having too many details or info dumps, though I've heard that happened with some other readers (maybe there were info dumps, but I just didn't notice them). I loved the structure of the world with the eight kingdoms (four of which were seasonal ones) and how each had distinct characteristics.

Overall, Snow Like Ashes made me very happy. I had high hopes for it and it turned out to be so, so GOOD. The book didn't become one of my favorites, but the series has a potential to become one. Many readers will enjoy reading this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.