Saturday, November 29, 2014

Review ~ Suspicion by Alexandra Monir

Series: ??
Genre: YA paranormal/mystery
Pages: 368
Publication Date: December 9th, 2014
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Goodreads Description: 
Mysterious. Magnificent. Creepy. Welcome to Rockford Manor.

"There's something hidden in the Maze." Seventeen-year-old Imogen has never forgotten the last words her father said to her seven years ago, before the blazing fire that consumed him, her mother, and the gardens of her family's English country manor.

Haunted by her parents' deaths, Imogen moves to New York City with her new guardians. But when a letter arrives with the news of her cousin's untimely death, revealing that Imogen is now the only heir left to run the estate, she returns to England and warily accepts her role as duchess.

All is not as it seems at Rockford, and Imogen quickly learns that dark secrets lurk behind the mansion's aristocratic exterior, hinting that the spate of deaths in her family were no accident. And at the center of the mystery is Imogen herself--and Sebastian, the childhood friend she has secretly loved for years. Just what has Imogen walked into?

Combining a fresh twist on the classic REBECCA with a spine-tingling mystery and powerful romance, SUSPICION is an action-packed thrill ride. 
In this post, I shared my expectations for some books on my TBR. I'm bringing the statement I had with this book to compare with my thoughts after reading the book.
I'm trying to stay away from reviews of this one, but I haven't been hearing great things about it on Twitter. So, I'm a little nervous about starting this one. I'm expecting to have a couple problems with this book--maybe with the romance or parts of the story. 
Sadly, I had more than a couple problems with this book.

Source: I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Oh, Suspicion . . . why did you have to do this to me? This book started off pretty decently. I didn't dislike much of anything for the majority of the book. The story seemed nice and the mystery and paranormal aspects were a bit intriguing. Around 70 percent, though, I started wondering what I liking exactly and there wasn't much I could come up with. This was also the same time when I started getting annoyed. 

First of all, the romance. This part never once felt convincing to me. I had a hard time taking Imogen's crush on Sebastion seriously and I didn't see a connection between the two of them. When feelings were declared, I rolled my eyes--it felt insta-love-y. The romance didn't have enough development to make me believe in it. 

description

(It's never a good sign when I roll my eyes at romance. I don't do that often.) 


A lack of development was my biggest problem with not only the romance, but the overall book. At that 70 percent mark, when I started getting annoyed, it seemed like the story finally started. Everything that happened before that point felt like it was part of an intro--a really long intro. Looking back, nothing much of importance seemed to occur. However, things started happening. Imogen's investigation into Lucia's death picked up suddenly, but didn't last very long (she figured it out very quickly). Some big plot twists happened and another theme/focus was added. They were suddenly there. They felt like they came out of nowhere because there seemed to be very little development in the lead up this last part of the story. It was like everything was just thrown in at last minute. It felt messy. Very messy.

The ending was a disappointment. I liked the twist that happened--I was suspecting something like it for a long time--but again, there wasn't enough development. It came out of nowhere, so it didn't seem to fit with the rest of the story very well (the extra theme added didn't fit in very well either). While it was a cool idea, it wasn't executed well enough for it feel convincing. The climax was . . . very anticlimactic, and the conclusion was meh. It didn't leave much of an impression on me.

description

I need to quickly address the magic. I liked the idea, but what was the point? It seemed to have an importance for awhile, but once the mystery behind Lucia's death was brought up more, the magic seemed to be put on the back burner. It didn't seem to have a purpose anymore.

Overall, Suspicion was messy. Plot holes, insta-love-y romance, little development, a weak ending: there were a lot of flaws that made it tough to like. I liked reading a good portion of the story, though I don't remember why exactly. There was some great ideas to this book, but there were too many things going on without enough development to back them up. Suspicion was a disappointing read.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.