Monday, December 22, 2014

Top 10 of 2014 ~ The Best Books I Read in 2014

Welcome to the first day of the Top 10 of 2014! I really liked doing this last year, so I didn't want to pass up doing it again. :) Thank you to Two Chicks on Books, Reading YA Rocks (Fiktshun’s new site), Tales of a Ravenous Reader, and Magical Urban Fantasy Reads for hosting! 

Go here to check out the list of other bloggers' lists for today.

Best Books I Read in 2014
I figured these out by looking through all my books and listing all the ones that stood out as being worthy of being on the list. These are the books that stood out to me as memorable and recommend-able. These are books that I often find myself talking or talking about and recommending to other readers. 

Now, onto the list! (These aren't in any particular order, except for the bottom two books.)

10. Tease by Amanda Maciel (Review)

This is one of the books from this year that has stuck with me the most, so it needs to be in the top ten. I have found myself telling my mom and friends about the concept and plot of this story a few times (which is a lot, considering I don't talk about many specific books with them). This book was definitely not an easy one to read, which is one of the reasons why I love it so much. Plus, it made me write one of my longest reviews.

9. The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes (Review)

This book made me really happy. I had a lot of fun reading it! It also made me want to read every single one of Paula Stokes' future books, regardless of description or genre. Considering I downloaded an e-arc mainly because other people were excited for it and I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about (I actually wasn't interested in reading it when I first discovered it), this was one of the books that surprised me the most this year. 

8. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

I'm so happy I finally read this one! I absolutely loved the romance and the friendships (and the setting) in Anna. It's definitely reread worthy.

7. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson (Review)

Jandy Nelson has such beautiful writing! That's the main thing that makes this one so memorable. Jude and Noah stand out as two of my favorite characters of the year, and they definitely had my favorite non-romantic relationship from the entire year.

6. Torn Away by Jennifer Brown (Review)

Torn Away will always stand out to me as the book that made me cry throughout almost the entire book. It made me shed some tears early on and I never went long with dry eyes. It made me an emotional wreck and I absolutely LOVE IT.

5. Every Breath by Ellie Marney (Review)

Mycroft and Watts. That is all. 

4. Loop by Karen Akins (Review)

Loop is such a fun and exciting read! It's also memorable. I did read it more recently than most of the other books on this list, but I still find myself thinking of it often. There's something special about this book. Also, it's the only sci-fi/futuristic book in my top ten.

3. Sisters' Fate by Jessica Spotswood

This stands out as my favorite series conclusion I read this entire year. The Cahill Witch Chronicles wasn't one of my favorite series until I read the last book. This was an amazing way to end the series! I lost track of time while reading it.

2. Faking Normal by Courtney C. Stevens (Review)

Faking Normal ties as my top favorite! Ever since I read it in February, I knew it was going to be on this list. Until the summer, no other book even stood a chance as my top favorite. It was a phenomenal read--my favorite type of read. It reminded me why YA realistic fiction is my favorite genre.

1. Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas (Review)

If I allowed myself to add more than one book from a series, all but Throne of Glass (I really liked that one, but wasn't wowed like the rest of the books) would be on this list. Crown of Midnight, though, was the one that made me fall in love with the series. Sarah J. Maas became one of my top favorite authors after I read CoM. Celaena became my new favorite heroine and she's oftentimes the character I think about when I'm struggling with remaining strong. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that CROWN OF MIDNIGHT IS AMAZING.

Honorable mention:
Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley (Review)

The only reason why this one is the honorable mention is that it's the most recent one I read from the list I initially wrote out in my notebook. This could easily take the place of most of the titles in my list because of how highly I recommend it. It's an important novel that everyone should take a chance on reading!

EDIT: I cannot believe I forgot this on the list. I can't go without including it, so Mistborn: The Final Empire is another honorable mention:


That's the top ten books I read this year! Leave a link if you made a list of your favorites and I'll check it out.☺

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.