Friday, January 2, 2015

Author Interview With Nikki Godwin!

I'm excited to share an interview with Nikki Godwin with you all today! Her upcoming GLBT books is releasing on January 14th, so that's the one I decided to focus the questions on. It looks really good! Quite different, as well. The author has called this book one of the two "most Nikki-ish books" she has written (the other one isn't released) and I'm really excited to read it.☺

If you haven't heard of Breaking Saint Jude before, I hope you're excited to read it by the time you finish reading this post. Enjoy the interview! 

 
When sixteen-year-old Jude Calvert sets out to steal stained glass from a broken cathedral window, he finds more than shards of red. He finds Max Rangel - his eye candy from his new LGBT support group - hauling a giraffe carcass across an abandoned part of town with a pack of guys. And he still accepts Max's dinner invite a few days later.

Still, animal lover Jude can't get the giraffe out of his mind. It doesn't take long for him to confront Max, who gives him partial answers and introduces him to a secret brotherhood of not-so-typical game hunters. Unable to tell his mom (the savior of black cats everywhere) or his dad (the zoo's head veterinarian) and unwilling to go back to his overbearing therapist, Jude quickly finds himself sucked into the underground world of taxidermy, theft, and drug deals.

At first, he's willing to do anything for the brotherhood just because he's so thankful to belong to someone again after serious drama with his ex-clique and ex-boyfriend. But when his underground life collides with his life above, he realizes he may have bitten off more than even the biggest animal can chew. 
add to goodreads

You can pre-order this book from Amazon.

Check out Nikki's other books on Goodreads!



Nikki Godwin is a YA/NA/LGBT author. She can't live without Mountain Dew, black eyeliner, and music by Hawthorne Heights. When not writing, she internet-stalks her favorite bands and keeps tabs on surf competitions. Her favorite surfer is Gabriel Medina. If you ever get her started on surfing or music, she'll never shut up. You've been warned.

CONTACT: Twitter / Facebook / Goodreads / Wattpad


Hi Nikki!

First, tell me a random fact about yourself.



I'm a vegetarian.


What is the toughest part of being an indie author? What is the best part?

The toughest part lately is exposure. There are so many more indie authors in the mix now, and the traditional world has caught up with where the indie world was a year ago. It's harder and harder to promote and stand out in today's marketplace. The best part, for me, is being able to interact with readers on my own terms, not a publisher's. I've developed really great friendships because of my books, and I'm not sure if I would've had that opportunity as a traditional author.



What makes Breaking Saint Jude one of the "most Nikki-ish books" you've written?

It's darker and edgier. My sister refers to it as "gritty." I've written some fluffy, cute YA, but I just prefer something darker, with a little more seriousness and a little less fluff. Breaking Saint Jude goes there.


Tell me a little about Jude. What kind of personality does he have? What struggles does he face in his story?

Jude is such a paradox. At times, he's a typical 16-year-old who thinks his life is over, but in all actuality, he has the best home life of any character I've ever written. He's accepted for who he is, no matter how dark or morbid. He actually has it pretty good, but he struggles to see the lights in his life because of some really dark spots. His main struggles in this book are with loss and his own conscience.



What songs fit well with Breaking Saint Jude?

The one song that I link to this book is "Sing For Me" by Yellowcard. It's always been my Jude song. A few other songs on my Jude playlist are "The Story of Us" by Taylor Swift, "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz, "I Heard You" by Good Charlotte, and "Welcome to the Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance.



Who/what are a few of your favorite . . . 

Bands? Hawthorne Heights, Mayday Parade, Yellowcard
Surfers? Gabriel Medina, Jeremy Flores, Miguel Pupo, Mitch Crews
Snacks? Chips & salsa, ice cream
Authors? J. H. Trumble, Sarah Ockler, Leigh Ann Kopans, and of course, Emily Godwin 

Thank you for answering my questions!

Thank you so much for having me on your blog! <3

~~~


And that's it! Are you excited for Nikki's upcoming book?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.