Friday, January 9, 2015

Review ~ Cut Me Free by J.R. Johansson

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary / thriller
Pages: 304
Publication Date: January 27th, 2015
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Goodreads Description: 
Seventeen-year-old Charlotte barely escaped from her abusive parents. Her little brother, Sam, wasn't as lucky. Now she's trying to begin the new life she always dreamed of for them, but never thought she'd have to experience alone. She's hired a techie-genius with a knack for forgery to remove the last ties to her old life. But while she can erase her former identity, she can’t rid herself of the memories. And her troubled history won’t let her ignore the little girl she sees one day in the park. The girl with the bruises and burn marks.That’s when Charlotte begins to receive the messages. Threatening notes left in her apartment--without a trace of entry. And they’re addressed to Piper, her old name. As the messages grow in frequency, she doesn’t just need to uncover who is leaving them; she needs to stop whoever it is before anyone else she loves ends up dead.
Source: I was given access to an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Creepy. Heart-pounding. Chilling. Dark. Meaningful. Important. Amazing. Book-hangover-inducing.

I absolutely loved Cut Me Free. I loved reading Piper's story. It was very dark and chilling, but meaningful as well. The moment I first saw this book, I just knew it was my kind of read. From the cover to the description to the subject matter and genre, it was my type of read. I am so glad to say that it met my expectations! 

Some of the subjects were trafficking and abuse/torture, which made the book very dark. The scariness came from the situations Piper and the other characters were in and the sick actions of the characters that abused and hurt them. The characters seemed to react to the subjects well. They were strong characters that saw some character growth. Piper ran from her past less and started to face the situation she was in head on. She began to trust people. She did well with protecting them, too.

I loved Sanda! She was strong, yet she was still vulnerable. She was still young, made the book all the more dark. I also loved her and Piper's relationship. They bonded quickly and they seemed to build each other up. They both became stronger by helping each other.

There were some great themes. There were focuses on strength and trust. There was also becoming comfortable with your past. 

The one area I thought could've used more development was the romance. I immediately sensed Cam and Piper's chemistry and started rooting for them. I liked them together--I liked how Cam wouldn't give up on her and how Piper slowly started to trust him. It still didn't seem as well developed as it should have been. They fell for each other pretty quickly.

Overall, Cut Me Free was a fantastic, dark novel. I'll definitely be reading more of the author's books!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.