Monday, February 16, 2015

Review ~ I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 400
Publication Date: February 3rd, 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt & Co. (BYR)
Goodreads Description: 
If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line.

Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper.

Source: I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really liked reading I'll Meet You There, but it didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me. I felt . . . disappointed in a way, yet it still deserves the rating I'm giving it. 

I liked the main character and her growth throughout the book. She wasn't that memorable (I can't even make a guess at what her name was without looking), but she was still good. I loved her artistic side. Dylan and Chris were really nice supporting characters. I appreciated the focus on friendship. The romance was tumultuous, which I really liked. The couple had great chemistry. It made me love certain scenes between the two of them.

*crickets*

That's all I have to say on those parts. 

The part of the book that I absolutely loved--the biggest reason why I even liked the book--was Josh. He made this book. I started out hating him. He was so RUDE and disrespectful. His behavior irritated me. However, he turned out to be afantastic character. He felt real and well developed. His flaws and his struggles with them actually made me like him more. I loved that he wasn't easy to like. Sometimes those are the best characters! His growth was amazing. I went from mildly repulsed to loving him, and that was what made his growth so evident to me. I loved that he was a Marine. That military focus made the story more interesting and, in a way, more emotional. Josh had short sections in his POV, which were some of my favorite parts to read. I loved his emotions--the rawness that infused his narration.

I wish I had more to say about this book that wasn't Josh related, but . . . that's where this book fell short for me. I don't have much to say. It was a great read! I had a good time reading it. Is it a favorite? Not one bit. There was something about this book that was missing. I was left with very little words, but not in a good way. 

Overall, I'll Meet You There was a great contemporary with a fantastic love interest. I will definitely read Heather Demetrios' other books, though I'm hoping that I'll have more to say about those ones. If you're a fan of great YA contemporary romance, I would definitely look into reading this one. Most readers don't seem to feel that same weird disappointment in this book, so I doubt many of those interested in reading it will come across the same problem that I did.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.