Monday, February 9, 2015

Review ~ The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

Series: The Sin Eater's Daughter #1
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 320
Publication Date: February 24th, 2015
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Goodreads Description: 
Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she’s engaged to the prince, Twylla isn’t exactly a member of the court.

She’s the executioner.

As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she’s taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla’s fatal touch, avoids her company.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he’s able to look past Twylla’s executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. Yet Twylla’s been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen.

However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla’s problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love? 
Source: I received an ARC of from Scholastic in exchange for an honest review.

Weird. That was my last impression of The Sin Eater's Daughter


There were so many weird elements to the book, especially the concept of Eating. The Sin Eater literally ate food at a funeral that represented the person's sins. I wasn't expecting that! The mythology and the stories were pretty interesting. I liked the reasoning behind Twylla's role as the Daunen Embodied. There were some twists that I kinda/sorta saw coming. That's all I'll say. You'll find out what happens!

The mythology and some flashbacks helped develop the world. It was an odd one, but it was really interesting. The flashbacks also helped me get to know Twylla.

Twylla was an interesting character. She was so submissive throughout most of the book. She just let things happen. She succumbed to "destiny" and didn't make her own choices. This was a heroine that had a hard time taking control of her own life. However, one of the biggest points/themes of this book was choice. You always have a choice and there's always a way for you to choose what you really want. I loved how this tied in with Twylla's growth. Even though I didn't like her very much, she was a pretty good character. I'm certain that she's going to continue to grow and will become a stronger person.

The plots and the schemes and the lies . . . oh, I loved them. There were lots of twists--some that I saw and some that I didn't, as well as some weird ones. I loved how they wove together and how the schemes were carried out (well, I didn't always love it since I did roll my eyes a couple times). 

The romance was iffy. I didn't sense very much chemistry between Lief and Twylla and there wasn't enough development before certain events in order for me to become completely convinced of their connection. Their romance also felt a bit too . . . too romance-y? Too sappy? I'm never sure how to describe this happens in books, but in a way, it was an over the top kind of romance that I didn't like reading very much (it's a kind of romance that usually doesn't work for me).

Lief . . . eh. Since the romance was so iffy for me, I didn't like him that much. I kinda liked his personality at first and he seemed to be very loyal, but there wasn't much about him that made me love his character. Maybe he'll seem better in the next book.

As for Merek, I wasn't sure what to think of him. He just wasn't convincing to me. There was something about him that didn't seem genuine to me (it was more about how he was written than how his personality was).

Overall, The Sin Eater's Daughter was an interesting fantasy. Despite the shortcomings in romantic development and some of the characters, the book had enough great aspects to it for me to want to read the sequel!




2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Flights of Fantasy
2015 Debut Author Challenge

Want to win an ARC of this book?
I'm giving away my ARC to a US winner on Twitter at the end of this week! RT this tweet to enter. (Must be following on Twitter.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.