Monday, March 9, 2015

Review ~ The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows

Series: The Orphan Queen #1
Genre: YA fantasy
Pages: 400
Publication Date: March 10th, 2015
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Goodreads Description: 
Wilhelmina has a hundred identities.

She is a princess. 
When the Indigo Kingdom conquered her homeland, Wilhelmina and other orphaned children of nobility were taken to Skyvale, the Indigo Kingdom’s capital. Ten years later, they are the Ospreys, experts at stealth and theft. With them, Wilhelmina means to take back her throne.


She is a spy. Wil and her best friend, Melanie, infiltrate Skyvale Palace to study their foes. They assume the identities of nobles from a wraith-fallen kingdom, but enemies fill the palace, and Melanie’s behavior grows suspicious. With Osprey missions becoming increasingly dangerous and their leader more unstable, Wil can’t trust anyone.


She is a threat. Wraith is the toxic by-product of magic, and for a century using magic has been forbidden. Still the wraith pours across the continent, reshaping the land and animals into fresh horrors. Soon it will reach the Indigo Kingdom. Wilhelmina’s magic might be the key to stopping the wraith, but if the vigilante Black Knife discovers Wil’s magic, she will vanish like all the others


Jodi Meadows introduces a vivid new fantasy full of intrigue, romance, dangerous magic, and one girl’s battle to reclaim her place in the world. 
Source: I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

The Orphan Queen has so much hype surrounding it and it really does deserve it. I really enjoyed reading this one and I cannot wait to read the Black Knife novellas and The Mirror King.

I LOVED Wil. I loved that she was fully aware of who she was. It seems that most royal heroines discover their birthright or get on the throne through another way, so it was nice that Wil already knew she had a kingdom to take back. I also loved her growth as she took on her role as a leader. I loved her morals and toughness (that didn’t turn abrasive). She seemed . . . different from most royal heroines

Black Knife was one of my favorite parts of the book. Oh my, he was amazing. I puzzled over his identity for such a long time. I was sure he was one guy, but I didn't want to get my hopes up too high, so I was also open to the possibility for him to be another guy. It was a mystery for me, which just made the book more enjoyable.

I loved Wil and Black Knife's dynamic. They made an awesome duo and OH, the chemistry! I loved it--simply loved it!

James was a delight and Tobiah was a grump. I loved both of them, for the most part. That’s all I’ll say about them. Melanie was a good character. I appreciated the presence of a partner in crime, of sorts. She gave the small friendship focus. I would like to get to know her more, though.

I really liked the world. The mirrors, the wraiths, the glowmen, the danger, the magic...it was REALLY cool. And pretty well built. I need more of it! I really want to learn more about it. 

I loved the action! There was no dull moment. I also liked how the book dived into it right away.

The ending had a big twist--and I do mean BIG. You can sorta see it coming (or maybe I'm just saying that because I had been fearing the event that did happen to actually happen). I refuse to believe it! Yet . . . I've come up with many reasons to believe it. It was a like I was in shock afterwards. I was staring at my computer screen with a blank, wide-eyed stare. There’s a reason why there’s an #OQSupportGroup on Twitter.

I wasn't COMPLETELY wowed by the book, but I feel like the sequel will make this series a new favorite. This happens to me with fantasy series a lot, though. I really like the first book, but don’t LOVE it. I usually like the sequels more. (This happened with the Throne of Glass series and maybe even the Grisha Trilogy.)

Overall, The Orphan Queen is a great start to what I expect to be an amazing YA fantasy series. You don’t want to miss out on this one!



2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Flights of Fantasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.