Thursday, April 2, 2015

Review ~ Etherworld by Claudia Gabel & Cheryl Klam

Series: Elusion #2
Genre: YA science fiction / dystopia
Pages: 352
Publication Date: March 31st, 2015
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Goodreads Description: 
In this sequel to Elusion, three teens fight a virtual reality program that threatens to destroy their minds. Dangerous secrets and lies add up to a thrilling futuristic fantasy with an Inception-inspired twist.

Elusion was hailed as an exciting leap in technology—until users began to disappear amid rumors of addiction. Regan’s search for the truth led her and her new love interest, Josh, to Etherworld. Etherworld is a dimension hidden deep beyond Elusion's firewall, where players can hide, and ultimately fight back. Regan's father and others are here working to destroy Etherworld, but the longer they stay the less likely they'll be able to return to the real world alive.

Escape means attacking Elusion from within the program. It's dangerous and it’s a puzzle. And even if they manage it, how will they be able to stop Orexis from distributing Elusion to the masses when the people who run it are corrupt?
Source: I received an e-arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I went into Etherworld feeling a little nervous. Sci-fi isn’t my thing (yet I keep trying it out) and I didn’t remember Elusion very well. Nevertheless, I was excited for it. 

I ended up liking this better than the first book in the duology! Even though some of the technology talk went over my head, I still got really into this book. It was more interesting. There was more going on with Elusion--more danger involved, which made it exciting. [The next part is spoilery if you haven't read Elusion. Highlight to see the text.] We got to know Regan’s dad and see how determined she was to save him. I liked the focus on family this part gave the book. [End spoilery section]

There was a sweet romance. There weren't many romantic moments (I mean, the characters had a lot on their minds), but those scenes did break up the tense ones where they were trying to destroy Elusion. The romance fit in nicely.

There were a couple twists, but nothing too shocking. Etherworld was all about taking Elusion down before people died, so it had a race-against-the-clock feel that I really liked. It allowed me to remain interested in the story.

Overall, Etherworld was a nice sequel in an enjoyable series! It's not something I see myself rereading one day, but I really liked reading it. If you liked Elusion, I think you would enjoy reading Etherworld!

2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Netgalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.