Sunday, April 5, 2015

Review ~ Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys) by Amy Spalding

Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 320
Publication Date: April 14th, 2015
Publisher: Poppy
Goodreads Description: 
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist meets Easy A in this hilariously realistic story of sneaking out, making out, and playing in a band.

After catching their bandmates in a compromising position, sixteen-year-old Los Angelenos Riley and Reid become painfully aware of the romance missing from their own lives. And so a pact is formed: they'll both try to make something happen with their respective crushes and document the experiences in a shared notebook.

While Reid struggles with the moral dilemma of adopting a dog to win over someone's heart, Riley tries to make progress with Ted Callahan, who she's been obsessed with forever-His floppy hair! His undeniable intelligence! But suddenly cute guys are popping up everywhere. How did she never notice them before?! With their love lives going from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye, Riley and Reid realize the results of their pact may be more than they bargained for. 

Source: I received an ARC of this book from the NOVL newsletter in exchange for an honest review.

Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys) was a sweet book with nice friendships, character growth, and romance.

The main character, Riley, was a weird, awkward girl. She was also pretty immature--in her actions and her thoughts. Her approach in the Passenger Manifesto (the notebook she and Reid document their romantic experiences in) was pretty much to make and and "do it" with her crush--except two other guys also caught her interest. It was like she was switching between the guys to see who she could get more action with quicker. Her expectations of love and sex seemed a bit unrealistic. Those eventually changed, though! I really liked seeing her mature and grow throughout the book. She impressed me with how well she handled the Passenger Manifesto towards the end and how much she learned from her mistakes. Ultimately, this was my favorite part of the book. 

There were a few more things that I liked. The book seemed to be sex positive. Ted Callahan was a great guy--my favorite one of the book. Reid was also great. He was an interesting character. Odd and over analytical as well. There was a band aspect that added some fun to the story. I tend to like books with musical characters in them!

I enjoyed reading this book, but it didn't wow me. It was sweet and fun. It just didn't have a very memorable quality to it. That's my only big dislike. 

However, I have a feeling that Riley's flip flop between guys and her immaturity may irritate some readers. I didn't mind it because I really liked her character growth, but it could be something that other readers may not like.

Overall, Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys) was a nice, but not super memorable read. I recommend this to readers who like light YA contemporaries and appreciate a heroine that matures through her experiences.

2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.