Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Review ~ Lying Out Loud by Kody Keplinger

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 304
Publication Date: April 28th, 2015
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Goodreads Description: 
Kody Keplinger returns to the world of The DUFF in this brand-new companion novel!

Sonny Ardmore is an excellent liar. She lies about her dad being in prison. She lies about her mom kicking her out. And she lies about sneaking into her best friend's house every night because she has nowhere else to go.

Amy Rush might be the only person Sonny shares everything with— secrets, clothes, even a nemesis named Ryder Cross.

Ryder's the new kid at Hamilton High and everything Sonny and Amy can't stand—a prep-school snob. But Ryder has a weakness: Amy. So when Ryder emails Amy asking her out, the friends see it as a prank opportunity not to be missed.

But without meaning to, Sonny ends up talking to Ryder all night online. And to her horror, she realizes that she might actually like him. Only there's one small catch: he thinks he's been talking to Amy. So Sonny comes up with an elaborate scheme to help Ryder realize that she's the girl he's really wanted all along. Can Sonny lie her way to the truth, or will all her lies end up costing her both Ryder and Amy? 
Source: I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Kody Keplinger has done it yet again. Lying Out Loud was a fantastic YA contemporary that I'm already really looking forward to reading again. It wasn't quite as great as The DUFF (that's one of my absolute favorites), but it still lived up to my very high expectations.

I had a very tough time tearing myself away from this book. The whirlwind of lies swept me up and I couldn't look away. I had to know what Sonny would do next, how Amy would react to it, when Ryder would discover the truth. Plus, I was looking out for scenes with Wesley in them (there were a quite a few, which made me really happy).

Speaking of Wesley . . . the cameos!! Oh, the cameos were great. There were quite a few of them, which made me really happy. They weren't limited to characters from The DUFF. I was pleasantly surprised to see characters outside of that book.

Lying Out Loud tackled quite a few different things, which may have made me even happier than the cameos did. I love it when a book has a lot going on in terms of what it's about and what themes it has. 

Lying: Sonny lied about everything. She was a pathological liar. Even when she knew it was bad, she did it anyway. 

Insecurity and fear: Sonny's lies were rooted in some big character flaws. She hid behind her stories and lies for a reason. That's where insecurity came in. She constantly compared herself to Amy. Amy was prettier, nicer, richer--she was everything Sonny felt that she wasn't. She didn't feel like she could hold a candle against her friend, which further made her hide behind lie after lie after lie.

Friendship: Here's the message I sensed: don't let stupid things that come in between you and your best friend. Boys, lies, insecurity--anything. Things definitely came in between the best friends in this book. Sonny was a terrible friend. (I'm sure making her look like a good character, huh?) She bossed Amy around and made her do stuff she didn't want to do, like be rude to Ryder. Sonny didn't take Amy's feelings into consideration. It's not cool to do that, and Sonny definitely learned a few lessons! (Trust me. It happens.) One of my favorite parts of the situation, though, was Amy's growth. Amy grew a LOT from this experience. She grew stronger, and it was such a nice thing to see. I loved how Sonny wasn't the only one with a lot of character growth.

Forgiveness: Loved ones may make terrible mistakes--and they may hurt you--but cutting them out completely isn't healthy. Those good traits that person possesses--the ones that made you like them--are still there. This side of the book was also about seeing things in more than black and white. This was where Ryder grew a bit!

I have nothing negative to say. Really. The book was that good.

Overall, Lying Out Loud was a quick read with many great elements and fantastically flawed characters. Sonny and Amy grew so much by the end of the book, and I loved watching it happen. Keplinger does a really job of creating flawed characters and making them grow. If you haven't tried one of her books yet, I highly recommend changing that soon! Both Lying Out Loud and The DUFF are amazing contemporaries.


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
Netgalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.