Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Review ~ Scarlett Undercover by Jennifer Latham

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary/mystery
Pages: 320
Publication Date: May 19th, 2015
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Goodreads Description: 
A voice-driven mystery perfect for fans of Veronica Mars.

Meet Scarlett, a smart, sarcastic, kick-butt, Muslim American heroine, ready to take on crime in her hometown of Las Almas. When a new case finds the private eye caught up in a centuries-old battle of evil genies and ancient curses, Scarlett discovers that her own family secrets may have more to do with the situation than she thinks -- and that cracking the case could lead to solving her father's murder.

Jennifer Latham delivers a compelling story and a character to remember in this one-of-a-kind debut novel. 
Source: I received an ARC of this book from the NOVL newsletter in exchange for an honest review.

Scarlett Undercover was a nice, fun read, but it wasn’t great. I liked the idea of the mystery and how it tied in with Scarlett’s culture. However, I started losing interest when the plot thickened and Jinn were involved more. It felt a bit meh. Also, the romance was just there, like an unnecessary add on to the story. It seemed to be an obligatory romance, like it was added because it’s in a lot of other YA books. It didn’t feel like it belonged in the story.

The one big thing that kept me liking the book (besides the fun feel) was Scarlett. She had a sparky personality that I really liked. Her POV kept me reading.

Overall, Scarlett Undercover fell short for me. I liked how fun it was, but there wasn’t much that made me really enjoy reading it. Big fans of Veronica Mars type stories may have a better luck with this one (I’ve never seen the show and I’m not very into this type of mystery). It just didn’t turn out to be a great read for me.



2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
2015 Debut Author Challenge
Dive into Diversity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.