Saturday, April 4, 2015

Sunday Street Team ~ Interview with Rachel Shane

Sunday Street Team is organized by Nori @ ReadWriteLove28. SST is a like a cross between a blog tour and street team, and (as the title suggests) the posts go up on Sundays throughout the month. I love this idea! You can expect me to participate in and promote this as much as I can.☺


There are two featured SST authors this month: Rachel Shane (Alice in Wonderland High) and Katherine Locke (Second Position)! I'm sharing a great interview with Rachel today and a review of Second Position on April 19th.

Title: Alice in Wonderland High
Author: Rachel Shane
Publication Date: April 18th, 2015
Publisher: Merit Press
Goodreads Description: 
Sixteen-year-old Alice suppresses her need for rebellion after a petition to start a farmer’s market receives more snickers than signatures. That is until Whitney Lapin, a girl who speaks in cryptic riddles and spends her free time turning abandoned warehouses into beautiful gardens, leads her on a rabbit trail into the underground–aka secret society–of Wonderland High. Curiouser and curiouser.

Even though Whitney’s group of teenage environmental vigilantes operates on the wrong side of the law, Alice has never felt more free to be herself. Soon she stomps on her good girl image by completing a series of environmental pranks to impress them: flooding the school and disguising a pig as a baby in order to smuggle it out of a testing facility. But the group refuses to help with the farmer’s market or reveal their hidden agenda. She wants to trust them, and she especially wants to trust (or maybe kiss) Chester Katz, a boy with a killer smile, a penchant for disappearing, and a secret that will really turn Alice‘s world backwards. When one group member tries to frame Alice for all the pranks, she must figure out their secret before she ends up in front of a jury that’s screaming, “Off with her head!” 
add to goodreads

Hi Rachel!


1. First of all, what is one of your favorite quotes from Alice in Wonderland High?

I love the first line of the book so much. It was originally buried in the middle of chapter 1 until one of my critique partners circled it during a critique and said, “THIS is your first line!” I restructured all of chapter one to place it at the top. If there was one thing I’d learned so far in high school, it was this: good girls are just bad girls who don’t get caught.


2. Tell me a little about Alice. What is her personality like?

One of the main traits of the original Alice is that she’s always polite, even when other characters are extremely rude to her. I wanted to play that up while also subverting it. My Alice is innocent in a lot of ways but not-so-innocent in others. She makes the first move with a boy. She’s the model student in school but then she starts to cut class and do some illegal things. My Alice is also fiercely determined. She knows what she wants and she goes after it.


3. Which characters did you have the most fun writing and why?

Kingston Hatter by far! Since he’s modeled after the Mad Hatter, who is iconic for being crazy, I had a lot of fun giving my Kingston crazy things to do and say. But I also wanted to round Kingston out, so I gave him a closeted sensitive side. I had so much fun developing both sides of his character.


I also must give a shout out to Whitney’s riddles. Those were a blast to write as well (and a pain!).


4. What 2015 debut releases are you excited about (besides your own, of course)?

ALIVE by Chandler Baker. Chandler is my critique partner so I was along the ride with her throughout the entire development of the book. I’m so excited to see it on shelves and read the final version!


5. Alice in Wonderland High is releasing soon! How does it feel getting closer and closer to its release date?

Scary! But also exciting! I’ve dreamed for so long about strangers reading the words I slaved over and it’s so exciting for that dream to come true. But then there’s the fear: what if people don’t like it? I’m looking forward to hitting all the key milestones with a book release. First school visit, first book signing, seeing my book in stores, receiving my first fan letter.


6. Who have you drawn the most support from during your publication journey?

Definitely my critique partners. We spend all day long talking on gChat both to brainstorm our plots but also to commiserate about the frustrating parts of publication (waiting!) and to celebrate the amazing parts (selling a book!). We’ve been critique partners for years and over several books, and even though they all live very far from me, I consider them my best friends.


7. I have to sneak in a question about Alice in Wonderland. What is your favorite scene from the book and/or one of the movies?

My favorite scene from a movie is from the 1985 TV movie version of Alice in Wonderland. I used to watch this movie as a kid over and over again and I absolutely loved the scene where Carol Channing playing the White Queen sings about logic with the lyrics, “Jam tomorrow, Jam yesterday, but never ever Jam today.”
From the original back, I’m partial to the scene with the Cheshire Cat where he declares “We’re all mad here.”


8. Lastly, tell me a random fact about yourself.

When I was 14, I used to run an e-zine for my favorite band, Veruca Salt. This was back when the internet was brand spanking new. I collated one of the ‘zine issues into a scrapbook and brought it to one of their concerts. Because it was at a small venue and I think I probably looked adorable with my shiny braces, I convinced a bouncer to slip it to them backstage. In the middle of their concert, they paused during the song “Awesome” and dedicated the song to me! It would have been the best moment of my life...until later that evening when I was invited backstage and the super hot drummer kissed me on my cheek to thank me.


Thanks for answering my questions.☺


Thanks for having me!


Rachel Shane studied Creative Writing at Syracuse University and now works in digital publishing at in New York City. She lives in New Jersey with her husband, young daughter, and a basement full of books. ALICE IN WONDERLAND HIGH is her first novel.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads / Instagram





Check out the schedule!

April 5th



Chelsea - Review 


April 12th

CreatyveBooks - Review 


Awkwordly Emma - Guest Post


April 19th

Batool's Book Feels - Interview

The Hopeless Reader - Review 

 Live, Love, Read - Review 

Readwritelove28 - Review


April 26th

Read it Write Now - Guest Post

M&EM Read - Review 

Otakutwins Reviews - Interview

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.