Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Review ~ My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary 
Pages: 320
Publication Date: February 10th, 2015
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Goodreads Description: 
Sixteen-year-old physics nerd Aysel is obsessed with plotting her own death. With a mother who can barely look at her without wincing, classmates who whisper behind her back, and a father whose violent crime rocked her small town, Aysel is ready to turn her potential energy into nothingness.

There’s only one problem: she’s not sure she has the courage to do it alone. But once she discovers a website with a section called Suicide Partners, Aysel’s convinced she’s found her solution: a teen boy with the username FrozenRobot (aka Roman) who’s haunted by a family tragedy is looking for a partner.

Even though Aysel and Roman have nothing in common, they slowly start to fill in each other’s broken lives. But as their suicide pact becomes more concrete, Aysel begins to question whether she really wants to go through with it. Ultimately, she must choose between wanting to die or trying to convince Roman to live so they can discover the potential of their energy together. Except that Roman may not be so easy to convince. 
Source: I was given access to an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I waited a long time to read it to read My Heart and Other Black Holes. I was a little intimidated by it because it looked like an emotionally exhausting read. And I was right! It was a wonderful book that also happened to hurt my heart a bit. My emotions bubbled to the surface and there was no way I could hold back the tears. I really liked how this book was able to do that. 

I liked how depression was handled. You can't fix the person yourself, but you can help the person see things differently. A connection can go a long way. In the author's note, she explains that this book is about the power of human connection and the people that truly understand you. She did a really good job of building the story around that and making it one that the readers can connect to. It has the ability to touch your heart and feel with the characters.

I actually don't have much to say on the characters, the plot, or the development, I focused mos t of my attention on the emotions and the connection between the two characters. I did wish, though, that issues with the half-sister were resolved more. She kinda . . . disappeared from the book after a scene she was a big part of. This felt like a loose thread.

Overall, My Heart and Other Black Holes was a well written, emotional read. I loved the physics aspect. It made the book unique and even more deep and meaningful. It made me connect to the characters even more, which just allowed me to have a stronger reaction. This story is worth reading if you like an emotional contemporary!


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Netgalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge
2015 Debut Authors Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.