Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Review ~ Devoted by Jennifer Mathieu

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Pages: 336
Publication Date: June 2nd, 2015
Publisher: Roaring Brook Press
Goodreads Description: 
Rachel Walker is devoted to God. She prays every day, attends Calvary Christian Church with her family, helps care for her five younger siblings, dresses modestly, and prepares herself to be a wife and mother who serves the Lord with joy. But Rachel is curious about the world her family has turned away from, and increasingly finds that neither the church nor her homeschool education has the answers she craves. Rachel has always found solace in her beliefs, but now she can’t shake the feeling that her devotion might destroy her soul.
Source: I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was a little nervous about Devoted because books with focuses on religion are out of my comfort zone, but I ended up really liking what I read. It didn't turn out to be amazing for me, but the story is one that I can see many readers loving.

This book was all about being able to make your own choices. What are you going to do with your life? It's up to you to decide. Rachel's lifestyle wasn't giving her the freedom to make her own choices, and that wasn't fitting for her. She struggled quite a bit. Could she choose her own path AND be still be faithful to God? What would she have to give up or change in order to make sure she's doing what shewants? I really liked this conflict.

I liked Rachel's growth. She started out as a very confused girl. She was scared of losing her faith because she wanted something different in life than becoming a and mother. Her journey was full of tough decisions and new experiences, and she came a long way.

Lauren was wonderful. She dwelled a lot on the past--how screwed up it made her. But she was so kind. She had a good heard. Her time with Rachel benefited her just as much as it benefited Rachel. I loved her character!

Matt was so sweet! He didn't make a huge impression, but I really liked his presence in the book. The scenes with him in them were really nice to read.

Some parts of the religious focus annoyed me (and not because of the restricting aspects of Rachel and her family's lifestyle), but that had to do with personal views rather than the book itself. I still admired Rachel for her commitment, though. It was impressive.

Overall, Devoted was a pretty good read featuring religion and choice. This was a solid story about a girl seeking out her own path for her life.


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Netgalley and Edelweiss Review Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.