Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The Three Ways In Which I DNF

There are more books that I want to read than I can get to in my lifetime, so I don't want to waste time on books that don't deserve it. There was a time (as a blogger) where I was hesitant to DNF books, but I've grown much more comfortable with doing it. 

However, I don't always DNF books for the same reasons or even in the same way. When it comes to making the decision to finally move on from a book, I have a few different approaches.

With a Big Huff
I sometimes get too fed up with a book to want to continue reading it! 

Common reactions to accompany this:
  • Scowling at page/screen
  • Rolling eyes
  • Saying "UGGGH, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP"
  • Swearing at the book
  • Feeling a rant building up
What makes me DNF this way:
  • INCREDIBLY annoying characters. I'm pretty tolerant of unlikable characters, but I do have limits.
  • Annoying writing. This can mean inconsistency. It can also mean the writing felt too forced or too "beautiful." (I really love beautiful writing, but sometimes it rubs me the wrong way because it can feel like way too much.)
  • Nothing happens! I get so frustrated when NOTHING IMPORTANT IS HAPPENING IN A BOOK. 

Books I have DNFed in this manner:
All covers link to my reviews except Taking Chances. I tried that one before I started reviewing books. It would've been one of my most negative DNF reviews, though. It made me so angry!


With Great Reluctance
If I mention in a review that I really wanted to love a book, but it didn't work for me in the moment--and I want to try it again someday--that means I DNFed with great reluctance. Usually I can see that the book is a great one, but things aren't clicking for whatever reason.

Common reactions to accompany this:
  • Whining about how much I want the book to work, but IT JUST ISN'T
  • Confusion
  • Sadness
  • Questioning self more than the book and wondering what's up with me at the moment of reading the book
What makes me DNF this way:
  • Book and I aren't clicking
  • Not in the right mood for the book
  • I was in the middle of the book for too long (I tend to start disliking the book when I don't finish it within a couple weeks)
Books I have DNFed in this manner:
All of these covers link to my reviews!

    Quietly
    This happens when I lose all interest in a book and I don't have much of a reaction to it. I end up saying, "okay, I guess I won't be getting back to this one." I just accept that the book isn't working and that I should move on.

    Common reactions to accompany this:
    • Ignoring book and reading a bunch of other books instead
    • Looking at the book and feeling sudden reluctance to read
    • Forgetting that I'm even reading the book
    What makes me DNF this way:
    • I was in the middle of the book for too long (just like with the previous manner)
    • The book just isn't interesting to me
    • I react very little to the things going on in the book
    • I can't connect to the characters (this is BIG for me--without the connection, I have a tough time getting into the book)
    Books I have DNFed in this manner:
    These all link to reviews.


    How do you DNF? Do you have similar reactions? What do do you think makes you DNF the most?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.