Monday, July 27, 2015

Review ~ Focus on Me by Megan Erickson

Series: In Focus #2
Genre: NA contemporary
Publication Date: July 21st, 2015
Publisher: InterMix
Goodreads Description: 
Colin Hartman can now add college to his list of failures. On the coast-to-coast trek home from California, Colin stops at a gas station in the Nevada desert, and can’t help noticing the guy in tight jeans looking like he just stepped off a catwalk. When he realizes Catwalk is stranded, Colin offers a ride.

Riley only intended to take a short ride in Colin’s Jeep to the Grand Canyon. But one detour leads to another until they finally find themselves tumbling into bed together. However there are shadows in Riley’s eyes that hide a troubled past. And when those shadows threaten to bury the man whom Colin has fallen in love with, he vows to get Riley the help he needs. For once in his life, quitting isn’t an option… 
Source: I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Focus on Me moved quickly, but had a lot to it. The romance was great, though I didn't like the characters as much as those in Trust the Focus. But still, I liked Colin's protective instincts. I liked the journey Riley went on. He struggled so MUCH and it broke my heart. The two guys had really nice chemistry and they complemented each other very well.

At one point, it seemed like there were too many sex scenes/mentions of them for me. I usually get annoyed with this because the scenes start to feel like filler or fluff. However, I was only irritated for a little bit because I discovered that number of the scenes were really important to the story and the state of characters' relationship. They weren't the healthiest couple throughout the entire book. There was more NEED than want. There was also codependency. Part of the book was all about Riley and Colin's struggle with that as well as their growth as a couple and as individuals. 

Along with that, this book was about a couple other things. It was about failures and successes and the gray area surrounding them. It was about depression and how love isn't a cure for it. You can't save a depressed loved one--that's completely up to them. Love and support definitely helps, but it's not going to "fix" the person. 

Now, for the not so great things. Things got a bit repetitive in the last 10-15 percent. It made the book longer than it actually was. There were a couple moments where I felt like it was the perfect ending, but then . . . the book just kept going. The real conclusion fell flat for me because I already felt like I was done reading the story. This happened with the other two books (Trust the Focus and Make it Count) I've read by this author too.

Overall, Focus on Me was a pretty great, quick read! Even though I preferred Justin and Landry from the first book, I did like the sequel better. The road was more emotional and difficult in this one, and I loved that.


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Netgalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge
Dive into Diversity

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.