Monday, August 24, 2015

Review ~ Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

Series: standalone
Genre: YA contemporary
Publication Date: September 1st, 2015
Publisher: Delacorte
Goodreads Description: 
This innovative, heartfelt debut novel tells the story of a girl who’s literally allergic to the outside world. When a new family moves in next door, she begins a complicated romance that challenges everything she’s ever known. The narrative unfolds via vignettes, diary entries, texts, charts, lists, illustrations, and more.

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster. 
Source: I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I was also gifted a print ARC, which is the copy I read.

Let me start off by saying that I can't fully express how utterly amazing Everything, Everything is. How beautiful. How captivating. I kinda just want to say "READ THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT'S AMAZING" and shove you towards it and be done with it, but this is a review. I guess I have to explain why, just in case you won't take my word for it.

From the moment Madeline and Olly's eyes met, I was in love with the romance--the journey that was beginning in that instant. Don't take that as instalove. They didn't fall for each other at the same time I did. (That came much later.) Anyway, these two characters were absolutely adorable together. They connected so well, and their interactions (both online and offline) were a lot of fun to read. 

This book destroyed me and made me incredibly happy at the same time. Here's the progression of my feelings and reactions from beginning to end:

Happiness, giddiness, laughter
Oh no! despair, sadness, worry
Joy, dread, heartbreak
ANGER, disbelief, shock, hope

Somewhere along the line, I think my bookish feels exploded (probably at the "heartbreak"). I was emotionally exhausted. I cried hard, and I don't even know why, really! Madeline's journey just . . . pulled at strings connected to a bucket of tears. This book spoke to me and pulled me so far into it that I truly felt for the characters. 

I loved how colorful the book was--just like its cover. Madeline's life was stark white until she met Olly. He was the catalyst. After she met him, she started wanting more from life. Her new experiences were like bursts of color against the stark white background of her life before.

The drawings that accompanied the words were so cute and fun! Those and the short chapters made it really easy to get sucked into what was happening. The book moved quickly. I believe I finished it in one day. 

Even though I absolutely LOVE this book, I did have one gripe. There was a part where Madeline just drove me up the wall with her behavior. She didn't seem to fully appreciate Olly, who was incredibly sweet. He did SO MUCH for her. I can't say what exactly because that's spoilery, but you'll see it when you read it. But he did a lot and fell for her, but I never got the sense that Madeline understood that she wasn't the only one who had strong feelings for the other. (Keep in mind that I read an ARC, so changes may have been made. I plan to read the finished copy someday to see if I feel differently). However, I did understand this happened (considering Madeline's situation growing up), so it didn't affect how much I loved the story. 

Overall, Everything, Everything was phenomenal. It shattered my heart and pieced it back together by the end. It was both beautiful and sweet. It was also an emotional rollercoaster. If you cry often while reading, then this one will probably make you emotional. For others, it may just be a really sweet read. It just depends on how you react to the story. Whether it's emotional or not for you, though, the story will speak to you. I recommend this to everyone, especially fans of Jandy Nelson's writing (which is also beautiful).


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Netgalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge
Dive into Diversity

2015 Debut Author Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.