Monday, August 31, 2015

Review ~ Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman

Series: standalone
Genre: YA historical fiction
Publication Date: September 1st, 2015
Publisher: HMH Books For Young Readers
Goodreads Description: 
When Kate Thompson’s father is killed by the notorious Rose Riders for a mysterious journal that reveals the secret location of a gold mine, the eighteen-year-old disguises herself as a boy and takes to the gritty plains looking for answers and justice. What she finds are devious strangers, dust storms, and a pair of brothers who refuse to quit riding in her shadow. But as Kate gets closer to the secrets about her family, she gets closer to the truth about herself and must decide if there's room for love in a heart so full of hate. In the spirit of True Grit, the cutthroat days of the Wild West come to life for a new generation.
I'm adding a new section to my review posts! It's not part of the review since these are thoughts I'm only sharing on this blog. It's pretty straight forward. I'm just going to explain why I picked this one up in the first place.

There was so much excitement for Vengeance Road that when I saw it on Edelweiss, I made an impulse decision to request it. That's . . . pretty much it. It wasn't because I liked how it sounded or have read the author's other books (because I haven't) or even the cover (at least, I don't think). It other people's excitement that piqued my interest.

Source: I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Westerns have never been something I’ve been super into. The Mask of Zorro and Back to the Future Part III (movies) pretty much sums up my experience with them, and that satisfied my interest. Reading Vengeance Road made me want to spend some more time with the genre, though! 

There was so much action, which was expected! The gun fights and chases gave the book a pretty quick pace, so it read quickly. There were also a lot of moments of downtime (or calmer parts). Talking. Traveling. It wasn’t all danger (though that was something everyone was alert of), which was nice.

I loved how vengeance was handled. It guided Kate, but didn’t destroy her. It made her even more determined. It also made the book pretty interesting because the fights were more anger fueled. Vengeance was just one focus. There was guilt, loyalty, family, and morals. How far do you go before you’re just like the person that you’re vengeful towards? There was also a focus on lust for gold.

Indians had a role in the story. They were in a big conflict of the time, so it definitely fit into the book. I like how the conflict was handled. The white characters and the Apache weren’t buddies. There was conflict between the groups, yet they did show some respect towards one another. I liked that positive light.

I felt a little iffy on the romance. The two characters had great chemistry, but I didn’t love the guy. He didn’t grow on me enough. Some of his actions made it hard to believe he was good enough for Kate.


Kate was an awesome heroine! She was hardheaded and determined, and I LOVED that. She also learned a great lesson in the end, which is something I always like to see as a character grows.

Overall, Vengeance Road was a really neat, action packed YA western that many readers will have fun reading. If there were any dull moments, I sure don’t remember them. If you want to read something refreshing and exciting, look no further. Vengeance Road has you covered.


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
Netgalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.