Sunday, August 2, 2015

SBPT ~ Preethi's Favorite Romance Types

I'm excited to be a part of the Summer Blogger Promo Tour! Thank you to The Book Bratz for hosting this. It's a lot of fun. To learn more about this event, check out this post
What's going on here?
For the Sundays of July and August, I'll be featuring guest posts from bloggers from a group I was assigned to! Guest posts by me will also be posted on their blogs. Come back every Sunday to discover a new blogger or learn more about one you already know.☺

Today I'm featuring Preethi from Time Turning Reads! She and I have something in common: we both adore romance. So, I'm excited to share her post on kinds of romance with you all today. 

People always laugh at me for this, but my absolute favorite type of romance is the kind where the guy and girl detest each other at the beginning, but you just know they're going to end up falling in love. One of my friends worries about me because of this - I mean, in real life it's not exactly the healthiest of relationships - but hey, this is why I read books. Think the Pride and Prejudice type romance, with Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy. All the swoons, right? A lot of Young Adult novels have incorporated this type of romance into their books, and it always works out wonderfully. These books are the first ones I always go for when I have a choice. Why I love this type of romance specifically, that's harder to answer. I suppose it's because it's quite fun watching the characters sort through their misconceptions, and their reactions when they realize how wrong they were about each other. It's also adorable seeing love sneaking up on two people who are so used to despising one another. The process of falling in love is a beautiful thing to read, plus it's very amusing at times, and hate-turned-love types of books really combine all the best aspects of romance in one book. Some of my favorite books with the love-hate thing going on is Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn, The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows, Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, A Court of Thorns and Roses (I'm totally talking about Rhysand here) as well as Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, and so much more. Feel free to ask me for recommendations from this genre of romance, because I have tons. This works just as well in TV shows - the one place I can't see this happening as much is reality.

The second favorite type of romance on my list is the second-chance type, where one person did something terribly stupid to the other person way back when, and now he/she is back - and there are sparks. Again. This is another cute romance type that I reach for every now and then. These ones aren't as easy to find as the other kind of romance, especially in YA, but they're there. The book from this year that sticks out is Last Year's Mistake by Gina Ciocca. I haven't read it yet but if you look at that synopsis, it's basically the definition of the genre. My love of this genre may or may not have stemmed from Jane Austen's Persuasion, which is actually a mix of the love-hate thing and the second-chance thing (so basically it's one of the best books ever). Another reason I like the genre is very likely because I like the idea of knowing a person when you were younger, not seeing them for years, and then unexpectedly seeing them again. I have always thought this was a cute premise for a romance, and I have never been disappointed by such a book.

Now, believe it or not, there is one type of romance I'm always hesitant to reach for: the BFF-turned-lovers (don't you love that I have a name for each type lol?). This is the type of book where a boy and girl have been best friends forever, and one day they find themselves looking at each other differently. The guy is adamant that she's too good for him, and the girl tries to convince him otherwise. It's very cliché. I find okay versions in New Adult novels, especially if I get to see them becoming friends and then something more, but more often than not they're best friends right from the start, which I find a bit dull and overdone. An example of we-get-to-see-them-become-friends romance done right is Wait for You by Jennifer L. Armentrout. An example of the BFF-from-the-start romance that I'm not fond of but totally loved in this scenario was Searching for Beautiful by Jennifer Probst. Clearly any author named Jennifer knows what she's doing.

And that's a quickie on the three main types of romances out there today that I read and love (some more than others). Believe it or not, I'm not a huge contemporary romance reader, but every book I read has at least a tidbit of romance in it - I'm picky like that - and these three are what I see as the main categories to love in books.
I hope you liked Preethi's post! Here's my full SBPT schedule, if you want to check it out.

Ana @ Ana Loves...
Jaclyn @ Living in a World of Book Quotes
Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!
Giselle @ Book Nerd Canada
Preethi @ Time Turning Reads
Stephanie @ Ohana Reads
Jessica @ Crossroad Reviews
Amber & Jessica @ The Book Bratz 


What are your favorite kinds of romance?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.