Sunday, September 27, 2015

Review ~ Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Series: Six of Crows #1
Genre: YA contemporary
Publication Date: September 29th, 2015
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Goodreads Description: 
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first. 
It's Leigh Bardugo. Why wouldn't I have read it?
Source: I was gifted an ARC! Thank you to Montana.☺

Six of Crows was so much FUN. I loved the heistiness of it (you know, the feel of heists). It reminded me of the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. It sometimes felt like the Grisha version of it!

The twists were great. Some build up for a long time. Some appear out of nowhere. Some are even staged to fool the reader, though the characters planned events to turn that way. This made the book even more fun to read.

I was already familiar with the Grisha world, but I must say I loved being in it again and learning more about it! It's a rich and well developed world can captivate most of its readers.

The romance was amazing, yet . . . there really wasn't any actual romance. It was more like the seeds of it--the development of interest, connection, and chemistry. I found three shippable couples in this book. THREE. I'm rooting for Inez and Kaz the most, though. The other two can fail and I wouldn't be quite as torn up about it.

The characters were by far my favorite part. Each had his or her own reasons to be in on the heist. Each had his or her own struggles and goals as well.

The six big characters listed individually:

  • I absolutely LOVED Kaz. He was the one I was the most eager to see grow. I liked his challenges the most.
  • Inez was my favorite! I loved her chapters the most. She was an interesting character and I always worried about more than anyone else. Plus, I liked seeing Kaz from her chapters--seeing what she thought of him. 
  • Jesper was a joker. I really liked his commentary. His struggles intrigued me.
  • Matthias infuriated me so much!! He was great, but he also took has the longest way to go for me. I loved him just like all the the rest, but he still upset me.
  • Nina was a pretty fun character! I loved her lively personality.
  • My least favorite of all of the six was Wylan. He just didn't stand out to me very much. I actually almost forgot to include him in this list. Whoops.
Overall, Six of Crows was an amazing book. It's also a very memorable one. Certain scenes made a huge impression! I can remember a lot of what happened, which made me love the book so much more. This is a definite must read for fantasy fans. Pick it up! Buy the incredibly awesome hardcover or borrow it from your local library. You won't regret it.


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Flights of Fantasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.