Friday, October 2, 2015

Review ~ Every Word by Ellie Marney

Series: Every #2
Genre: YA contemporary
Publication Date: September 8th, 2015
Publisher: Tundra Books
Goodreads Description: 
James Mycroft has just left for London to investigate a car accident similar to the one that killed his parents seven years ago...without saying goodbye to Rachel Watts, his 'partner in crime'.

Rachel is furious and worried about his strange behaviour - not that Mycroft's ever exactly normal, but London is the scene of so many of his nightmares. So Rachel jumps on a plane to follow him...and lands straight in a whole storm of trouble.

The theft of a copy of Shakespeare's First Folio, the possible murder of a rare books conservator, and the deaths of Mycroft's parents...Can Watts help Mycroft make sense of the three events - or will she lose him forever?

Sparks fly when Watts and Mycroft reunite in this second sophisticated thriller about the teen sleuthing duo. 
Every Breath was one of my favorite books from last year and I was so excited to get more of Rachel and Mycroft in the sequel!

Source: I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely LOVED Every Breath, so I was very excited about reading another book in the series. Every Word didn’t turn out as fantastic as I wanted it to be. 

I didn’t like the mystery quite as much as the one in book one, but it felt a little more intense in the sequel. That partially had to do with the situations Mycroft and Rachel found themselves in, but the high level of emotions they felt also played a big part. The emotions tied in with the romance (my favorite part), too. I preferred seeing how the two characters interacted with each other than figuring out what was going on in the mystery.

Mycroft and Rachel were a hot couple. I loved them so much! I adored them as a couple and as individuals. There’s a certain level of ease between them, which is funny because they still had issues (jeez, there were a lot of them) in this book. Mycroft took a LONG time to open up to Rachel. There was still some nervousness between the two, but . . . they still managed to have that ease in their interactions, which is a big part of why they’re so shippable (easy to root for). Plus, they had fantastic chemistry! They joked around a lot, and had so many tender moments.

The bottom line? The romance was GREAT.

The characters were great as individuals as well. Rachel was amazingly supportive, and I loved seeing that side of her. And Mycroft . . . oh, Mycroft. He broke my heart a little in this book because he had to deal with a LOT from his past. He managed to still be funny with everything going on, though.

Overall, while it wasn’t quite as great as the first book, Every Word was a nice sequel. I loved getting to know more about Mycroft and Rachel more, and seeing how they dealt with the hurdles thrown their way. I’m eager to read the next book in the series!


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Netgalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.