Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Review ~ The White Rose by Amy Ewing

Series: The Lone City #2
Genre: YA fantasy
Publication Date: October 6th, 2015
Publisher: HarperTeen
Goodreads Description: 
Violet is on the run. After the Duchess of the Lake catches Violet with Ash, the hired companion at the Palace of the Lake, Violet has no choice but to escape the Jewel or face certain death. So along with Ash and her best friend, Raven, Violet runs away from her unbearable life of servitude.

But no one said leaving the Jewel would be easy. As they make their way through the circles of the Lone City, Regimentals track their every move, and the trio barely manages to make it out unscathed and into the safe haven they were promised—a mysterious house in the Farm.

But there’s a rebellion brewing, and Violet has found herself in the middle of it. Alongside a new ally, Violet discovers her Auguries are much more powerful than she ever imagined. But is she strong enough to rise up against the Jewel and everything she has ever known?

The White Rose is a raw, captivating sequel to The Jewel that fans won’t be able to put down until the final shocking moments. 
I wanted to read more of the series! I was curious about what would happen next.
Source: I received an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Jewel didn't leave a great last impression (though I did like it), so I didn't have super high expectations for The White Rose. I was interested in seeing what would happen next, but wasn't expecting much. Certain parts were better than the in first book, but as a whole, I liked both about the same. The romance was better (though I wish there was more chemistry). Instalove wasn't really an issue, but the plot and rebellion lacked some oomph. There was a quick pace throughout most of the book, though there was a lull around three quarters the way in. So, there were both great and lacking parts to this book, just like there were in book one.

I liked Ash a lot more in this book. He was growing! I liked learning more about him. He had a dark past as a companion, and was constantly judged and underestimated by everyone. So many people thought he was just about sex, which is far from who he really was. He was actually a more interesting character than the heroine, who I don't really have anything notable to say about.

What does this sequel add to the series? There were some interesting new characters, though I don't have anything to say about them as individuals. There were many new faces with many different attitudes. They provided something fresh to the story. There were also familiar characters that were developed a bit more. More parts of the world were explored, including the island (both the land and history) as well as the surrogates and abilities.

Overall, The White Rose is a pretty good sequel. I really liked diving deeper into the world and discovering more aspects of it. The ending to this one left me with a great impression, and I'm eager to read the next book in the series!


2015 challenges this book counts towards:
105 Challenge
Netgalley and Edelweiss Reading Challenge
Flights of Fantasy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.