Friday, November 20, 2015

Review ~ Frosh: First Blush by Mónica B. Wagner

Series: Frosh #1
Genre: NA contemporary
Publication Date: October 20th, 2015
Publisher: The Studio/Paper Lantern Lit
Purchase: Amazon | B&N
Goodreads Description: 
During welcome week at Hillson University, the FROSH will hit the fan.

Type-A aspiring journalist Ellie plans to take freshman year by storm. But hell-bent on breaking a huge on-campus scandal, she risks becoming one herself—and getting the mysterious, heart-melting QB in serious trouble. 

Grant, star quarterback and charismatic chick-magnet, is hiding a life-altering secret. The last thing he needs is an overeager (absolutely adorable) journalist asking questions. He’s got a reputation to protect.

High-society legacy student Devon is ready to catch the football hottie of her dreams. If the tabloids feature her with the “it” boy on her arm, her tainted past will be buried—or so she thinks.

Charlie, pre-med, is done being the sweet and funny geek that girls like Devon ignore. But if he tries to impress her with a new edgy, spontaneous attitude, will his heart end up in the emergency room?

FROSH intertwines the stories of Ellie, Grant, Devon, and Charlie in Mónica B. Wagner’s sexy NA debut series, about falling in love and falling apart. 
Why I Read This Book
It's NA! And it looked fun! There's really not much else to add. :D
Review
Source: I was given access to an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Hmm . . . I don't know about this one. There were sure parts that I enjoyed, but the book as a whole felt like it stuck to the surface. There was more to the characters than met the eye, but it still didn't dig deeper. It made the book feel shallow and surface-bound. There could've been MORE to the characters and the story.

What was good? I rooted many of the characters on! I really liked Charlie and Devon as love interests. They were opposites, which tends to make me more interested in a romance (I like seeing how differences are overcome). I would've loved to see more of them. More interaction. More connection. I didn't like the other couple quite as much, though they seemed pretty good in the beginning. Their relationship felt a bit meh after something actually happened between the characters. Their connection was buried by the drama instead of flaring despite it.

There were four characters with 3rd person POVs, and it felt a bit too much. I had a tougher time connecting to the book because of it, which probably helped give the book a shallow feeling for me.

Overall, Frosh: First Blush had its fun and dramatic moments. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. There is a lot of potential for the sequel, though. There was a hint of scandal that I can see being brought more to light. The romance has the potential to get better, too.
My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.