Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Review ~ Something in the Air by Marie Landry

Series: standalone
Genre: NA contemporary
Publication Date: November 10th, 2015
Publisher: Marie Landry
Purchase: Amazon | B&N
Goodreads Description: 
Her life hasn't gone as planned, but she's about to realize that sometimes the best things happen when you stop expecting life to be a certain way...

When Rose Morgan put off her college plans to help her mother through a difficult time, she thought it would just be a bump in the road of her journey. She got a job to help pay the bills and started picking up the slack at home. But three years later, her bumpy ride hasn’t smoothed out yet, and Rose feels stuck. She’s working at a job she hates and living with a manipulative mother. She’s tired of feeling like her life has stalled, tired of the resentment and anger building inside her with each passing day.

Then Declan Connelly appears in her life, and even though the hot Irishman is seriously tempting, Rose is determined not to let him in. She’s afraid to suck anyone into her bizarre life, especially someone who seems too charming for his own good. She soon learns there’s more to Declan than his sexy accent and charismatic personality, though. He’s a good man, and he wants Rose in his life, baggage and all. He’s got his own, and he isn’t scared away like she originally feared he would be. 

Everything in Rose’s life is changing quickly. It’s finally her time--time to figure out what she wants and what her future holds. Time to get swept off her feet and not fight it. But when her plans might take her away from all the amazing new things in her life, including Declan, Rose has to make a choice. Is she willing to chase her dreams, even if it means letting go of love? 
Why I Read This Book
I've been wanting to read one of Marie Landry's books ever since I interviewed her in the beginning of the year! When I got a review request from her publicist, yes was the only answer. I was pretty excited to get an opportunity to review Marie's latest book.
Review
Source: I was given access to an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Something in the Air was a sweet New Adult novel about following your dreams and starting a new adventure. I had quite a few issues with it, but I still liked what I read.

Let's start with the good parts! Their was a fantastic platonic relationship that I was so happy to see. I don't see strong ones as much as I should, so that was one of my favorite parts of this book. Their was also a family focus. Rose had a very rocky relationship with her mom, and I kinda . . . liked seeing that. That's weird to write, but it added conflict--way more conflict than the rest of the book seemed to have. It sucked that the relationship was so bad, but I liked seeing how Rose handled it. Other than that part, the book didn't have much drama. It had a nice story! Also, the love interest was really sweet and lovable. 

Now, for the not-so-good parts. I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but I didn't get a great vibe from the book. It didn't feel genuine. So many of the feelings, reactions, etc. carried a forced positive/happy/optimistic feeling that didn't even disappear when the characters were unhappy. It felt the way platitudes or small talk oftentimes feel (for me, at least). The positive vibe of the book would've been fine if it didn't seem so forced.

Also, most of the conflict seemed to be smoothed over in a . . . quick, easy way, even when the characters said they were having a hard time. This kinda threw me off a little. I got the impression that more telling than demonstrating of feelings was going on. 

Overall, Something in the Air was a decent NA, but I can't call it great. I wish it had a more genuine feel to it. It could've made the book so much better! I'll still check out more of this author's books, though, since I've heard great things about the other ones.
My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.