Thursday, December 3, 2015

Reading List For "Bottom of the River" (Delta Rae)

I've always wanted to pair music and books in a special way here. I've tried over and over to come up with a playlist to go with a book, but I could never seem to get very far with that. Pairing a song with a books on review posts was an option, but I can have such a hard time finding songs that fit certain books. I'll think of possible stories that fit a song while I'm listening to it, but I don't oftentimes think of music as I'm reading. It can slip my mind that I'm even trying to make a playlist.

That little struggle is where this new feature is coming from! Reading List is a reverse playlist. Instead of sharing a list of songs that can go with the book in some way, I'm going to share a list of books that go with one song in some way. 



This song is haunting and EERIE. It has this folksy, sinister feel to it that I absolutely LOVE. I always picture a Southern, dark, and quiet setting when I listen to this. I also oftentimes think of the music video when I hear the song, and that had a big influence on the books I paired up with it.

Before I move onto the books, here's my favorite part of the song:

The wolves will chase you by the pale moonlight
(Drunk and driven by a devil’s hunger)
Drive your son like a railroad spike
(Into the water, let it pull him under)
Don’t you lift him, let him drown alive
(The good Lord speaks like a rolling thunder)
Let that fever make the water rise
(And let the river run dry)


The Reading List
Most of my reasoning for adding each of these books to this list is the vibe each one had. It was easy to come up with this list because there's such a distinct feel to the song and to each of these books. Even the settings of all of these (even if they're not in the South) seem perfect.

CORNSTALKS. One of the things that comes to my mind when I hear the song is cornstalks, which goes perfectly with Blood and Salt. This book fits the song the most for me because it's a horror and is very . . . devilish.

I feel like the setting as well as some of the events (and the vibe, of course) of All the Truth That's in Me fits the song well. 

The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly might be the second best fit for this list because of its vibe. 

Okay, the line saying "wolves will chase you by the pale moonlight" may be a big reason I'm including Of Scars and Stardust, but the book also has an eerie atmosphere to it. 
I wasn't the greatest fan of Some Quiet Place and I don't remember it well, but the paranormal aspect of it reminds me of "Bottom of the River." The cover sure doesn't hurt. It helps make the book seem like a perfect addition to this list!
A Prediction
Do you ever come across a song that you feel may go well with a book on your TBR? You may be expecting the book to have a certain feel or focus on certain things, so a song might seem like a good fit!
"Dovey learns that demons lurk in places other than the dark corners of her mind in this southern gothic fantasy from the author of the Blud series." That's the first sentence of the description of Servants of the Storm. Doesn't it already sound like a great addition to this list?? The cover and title give me that impression, too!

Do you think these books go well with the song? Are there any books you think should be added?

Also, what do you think of the new feature?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.