Monday, December 14, 2015

Reading List For "Castle" (Halsey)

Reading List is a reverse playlist. Instead of sharing a list of songs that can go with the book in some way, I'm going to share a list of books that go with one song in some way. 
I love Halsey's music!! Her album is probably the most played on on my iPod. :D I can listen to her music over and over and not get tired of what I'm hearing. "Castle" is one of many songs that I love and it seems to be the easiest to come up with a reading list for.
I'm headed straight for the castle
They wanna make me their queen
And there's an old man sitting on the throne that's
Saying that I probably shouldn't be so mean
I'm headed straight for the castle
They've got the kingdom locked up
And there's an old man sitting on the throne that's
Saying I should probably keep my pretty mouth shut
Straight for the castle
The Reading List
This song can fit many books! An obvious connection is fierce heroines in fantasies that are trying to reclaim a throne or a position of power. It can also connect to heroines that are really tired of being pushed down by society and try to break out of that box or do something big (even if it's not necessarily good) to change things. 
I'll just say that the song reminds me a little bit of Cinder in this book! 

I know, I know. You may be thinking, "seriously, Kaitlin? Juliette doesn't fit here!" But she DOES. She's not always that fierce badass heroine, but she has her moments. There's a less obvious connection between the Shatter Me series and the song, but I feel like they go well together. 

Oh, I can totally picture this song going with some of the more heisty scenes in Six of Crows! I would say the vibe and the music fit them nicely. I can see the song playing as the characters are traveling/walking in a tension-filled moment.

One of the biggest impressions Eona left on me was that the main character became a lot fiercer than she was before. 
A Couple Predictions
I think I saw someone tweet something about this song going well with this book, so now I always picture this cover when I hear the song. :D I feel like Adelina's attitude in The Rose Society will go well with the lyrics and feel of the song as well.

A Book Request
I wanted to include a contemporary or thriller that could fit this song well, but I couldn't think of any! I want a book with a character that has been in the spotlight (either from fame or a scandal) and is absolutely sick and tired of being controlled and told what to do and how to act. This character would have a strong personality and would rebel in some way or another. (The book that comes the closest to what I want is Dangerous Girls, but that doesn't feel quite right.) Does anyone know of anything that would fit this description??

Do you think these books go well with the song? Are there any books you think should be added?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.