Sunday, January 3, 2016

A Tough, Incredible Read | Addicted to You by Krista & Becca Ritchie

I wasn't expecting to write anything about this book besides the comment I left about it on Goodreads. I thought it would be one of those books I read and slapped a 5 star rating on without worrying about posting any review.

But this book.

I have thoughts on it. It's been two days since I finished it and I keep thinking about it.

This post is a little more mature than my usual reviews. I felt like I had to get that out of the way considering I review mostly YA.


About the Book:
She’s addicted to sex. He’s addicted to booze…the only way out is rock bottom.

No one would suspect shy Lily Calloway’s biggest secret. While everyone is dancing at college bars, Lily stays in the bathroom. To get laid. Her compulsion leads her to one-night stands, steamy hookups and events she shamefully regrets. The only person who knows her secret happens to have one of his own.

Loren Hale’s best friend is his bottle of bourbon. Lily comes at a close second. For three years, they’ve pretended to be in a real relationship, hiding their addictions from their families. They’ve mastered the art of concealing flasks and random guys that filter in and out of their apartment.

But as they sink beneath the weight of their addictions, they cling harder to their destructive relationship and wonder if a life together, for real, is better than a lie. Strangers and family begin to infiltrate their guarded lives, and with new challenges, they realize they may not just be addicted to alcohol and sex.

Their real vice may be each other.

New Adult Romance recommended for readers 18+ for mature content

FREE EBOOK ALERT!! If you're considering this book in the slightest and don't have it yet, it won't hurt to get the ebook. Just in case.☺
How Do I Love This Book?
This is one of those books that my love for is more . . . low-key, I think?  It's not AN ALL CAPS AHHHHHH SUCH A FANTASTIC BOOK EVERYONE MUST READ IT NOW kind of love, but rather a wow, I absolutely loved how that was done.

See the difference? I hope.

I appreciated this book, and I absolutely love it when that happens. Books like this one tend to stick with me longer than the really exciting ones because they make me think. And feel. And appreciate. And keep recommending to people. I know I'll keep recommending this one.

My Two Favorite Parts
The Addictions
Addiction. That's what this book covered. The characters addictions were so UGLY and were really hard to read at times. I don't have as much to say about this one as much as Lily's because the book was in her POV. I also just had more reactions to her.

Lily's sex addiction: One of my favorite parts about this book was how this was handled. There was a lot of sex in this book--of course. Lily was addicted and it was something she had to deal with. Every. Single. Day. She had withdrawal symptoms and had compulsions just like you would expect from someone with an addiction. I appreciated the fact that there weren't that many super graphic scenes, which . . . is kinda weird to say because the book was definitely mature. The way the scenes--or rather the way sex was handled because a lot of it happened off the page--were written helped make me think the addictions were handled well. When it was about Lily's addiction, things weren't romantic. More details seemed to come in when it was about Lily (or Lily and Lo's relationship) instead of her addiction.

The authors managed to handle addiction well while keeping it sex positive. Lily's addiction wasn't romanticized nor were her desires shamed. The balance was there and I appreciated that so much!

(I really hope I'm making sense with this. :D)

Pairing the addictions together: That was hard. There were these two characters that have been relying on each other for sooooo long (at least since they were 14--and they were 20/21 in this book) so they could hide their addictions. They enabled each other. Neither felt like they could say, "hey, you're addicted and you need help" because . . . that would be hypocritical. If either of them said that, they would both have to be willing to change. I absolutely adored these characters, but the way they depended on one another was incredibly unhealthy. The way Lily and Lo's addictions affected themselves, each other, their relationship, and their loved ones made the book a tough read. These characters went through SO MUCH.

The Characters
So much of this book was about Lily and Lo's addictions, but I loved how I was able to get to know them past that. I still have a LOT to learn about them, but I know enough to really care for them. They're good people. Lily was a really good sister. Her actions may not have gave the same impression to the other characters, but it was apparent to me through reading her POV. I really liked that she and Lo were also comic book fans. I know that may seem like a small detail, but it allowed me to get to know them better!

The other characters were amazing! Ryke was my favorite. He was so persistent. He saw how much Lo drank and would NOT. LET. GO. It was definitely not easy to do that and I loved him for it. Conner was funny. On the surface, he seemed to care about so little, but he was a really good guy. Rose was awesome. She was fierce and I'm so excited that she and Conner get a book!
Final Thoughts?
Addicted to You is an incredible story of two people that have been hiding their addictions for a long time, but have to face even bigger complications as they take new steps in their relationship and as other people start seeing past their facade. I absolutely loved reading this book. I loved the characters and how far they would go to help others (even with Lily and Lo, the unwavering support they gave each other said a lot about them). I loved how addiction was handled. I loved how this story made me think. I loved how it made me feel.

The Rest of the Addicted Series:
(Two more books and two novellas focused on Lily and Lo)

The Calloway Sisters Series:
(Spin off books focused on other characters in the series)

Epilogue Novel to Both Series:
(Releasing sometime this year)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.