Saturday, January 16, 2016

Reading List For "Savages" by Marina and the Diamonds

Reading List is a reverse playlist. Instead of sharing a list of songs that can go with the book in some way, I'm going to share a list of books that go with one song in some way. 
I. LOVE. THIS. SONG. It's one of my top favorites at the moment (the moment being second week of January--things could change by the time these words are seen by anyone else). I love most of Marina and the Diamonds songs. They're fun to listen to, but they also have pretty darn good lyrics. Picking an excerpt for "Savages" was a bit tough because I want to share all the lyrics. I wanted to make the quoted section short brief more, though.


One man can build a bomb
Another run a race
To save somebody's life
And have it blow up in his face
I'm not the only one who
Finds it hard to understand
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man

Is it running in our blood
Is it running in our veins
Is it running in our genes
Is it in our DNA
Humans aren't gonna behave
As we think we always should
Yeah, we can be bad as we can be good

Underneath it all, we're just savages
Hidden behind shirts, ties and marriages
How could we expect anything at all
We're just animals, still learning how to crawl
The Reading List
I was looking for books that showed both good and bad facets of humanity--books with characters that make horrible decisions or struggle with morals or just plain show how ugly humans can be. Books that focus on good vs. evil and the blurry line between right and wrong. Books that 

All the Rage is the first book that "Savages" reminded me of. It was because of this line: "Another day, another tale of rape / Another ticking bomb to bury deep and detonate." Once I connected that line to the book, which features rape and horrible human beings, it was hard to listen to this song without thinking of All the Rage.

From what I can remember about Dangerous Boys, some pretty twisted things happened. I remember ugly acts being committed by the characters. And hey, even the tagline on the cover seems to go with the song!

The main character of Dear Killer is a serial killer, so I would say it fits what I was looking for pretty well. :D There's definitely a lot of focus on morals and right vs. wrong.

I don't know if the vibe of Sweet Evil fits the song as much as the contemporaries, but I absolutely loved how good vs. evil was handled in this book (and the rest of the series). Some of its themes seemed to go well with the theme of the song.

A Book Request
I'm looking for any morally ambiguous books that you feel go with this song! I want characters that show their savage-like side. I want to see the ugly parts of humanity contrasted with the good parts. I want dark and shocking and, most of all, thought provoking. Do you have any recs for me?

Do you think these books go well with the song?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.