Monday, February 22, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday (46) ~ None of These Books Are My Typical Reads

Top Ten Tuesdays is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and a weekly meme where we simply make a top ten list for the week's topic.

This week's topic is all about books we've enjoyed in the past year-ish that were out of our comfort zone/not our typical type of books. It turns out that I haven't read many of those recently! (Man, I need to branch out more...) So, I'm splitting this list into two categories: 4 books I recently enjoyed that weren't my typical type of read and 6 books I really want to read that aren't my typical type of books.

Top Four Books I Recently Enjoyed That Weren't My Usual Type of Read


Changing His Game - I don't read books that are quite this adult. One of my reading goals is to read all of Megan Erickson's books and that included this one. (I also read the sequel.) It was really good! The characters were awesome.

Double Life - It's short. It's sci-fi. It's a free kindle book (I have sooooo many of these, but I rarely choose them over ones I paid money for). I read it because S. Usher Evans is awesome and I was seeing some flailing over it on Twitter, so I became curious!! Plus, I challenged myself to read at least one indie book last month, which resulting in a binge read of the entire series. :D

Mamotte! Lollipop - This was my first manga, but I'm putting it on this list because I usually shy away from really cutesy looking books. This ended up being a fun read and I've read two others in the series so far.

The Night Circus - It's adult and historical. It's also a book I've abandoned reading in the past and I don't revisit those that often. But THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD. I'm kinda mad at my past self for not finishing it the first time, but I think I appreciated it more on my second try.

Top Six Books I Want to Read That Aren't My Usual Type of Book
Corrupt - This one is a dark romance that sounds like something I'm going to HATE (or get SUPER ANGRY AT), but . . . it's on my list of recommendations from Holly. She's 90 percent of the reason I'm even considering this. The other 10 percent is my own curiosity. Will I hate it? We shall see...

When a Scott Ties the Knot - Alyssa @ The Eater of Books! LOVES this book. Historical fiction can be a hit or miss for me and adult historical romance is a genre that I haven't dipped into yet. This is the book that has made me interested in changing that! It's the third in a series and I can be strict about reading in order (whether it's necessary or not), so I may start with Romancing the Duke.

The Bell Jar - I rarely read classics, but this one has been catching my eye lately! I've been interested in it for a long time, but, you know, it's not my usual type of book--I obviously don't branch out much. *eyes first half of post*

Vermilion - This one looks interesting! And sooooo different from what I usually read. The description ends with this: "From British Fantasy Award nominee Molly Tanzer comes debut novel Vermilion, a spirited weird Western adventure that puts the punk back into steampunk." (Whooaaaa.) Adult, steampunk (though I love it!), and western--all rolled into one book, too--aren't what I pick up often!

Hour of the Bees - This is an MG magical realism that sounds really pretty. I don't find myself interested in many MG books, but I really want to read this one!

Catch-22 - Another classic! I've been eyeing this one for a few years. I heard that's it's a really interesting read. And possibly very weird? I can't remember exactly what I heard about it when I was in high school.


Have you read any of these books?? How did you do on with this topic?

*scrolls through list one last time* This looks like such a WEIRD assortment of books to me...I found this interesting to put together. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.