Friday, March 18, 2016

Eight Reasons You Need This Deeper Book in Your Life

I'm almost caught up in reviews from January!! This is one of the best books I've read this year. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. It's an NA contemporary!
In Robin York’s sizzling debut, a college student is attacked online and must restore her name—and stay clear of a guy who’s wrong for her, but feels so right.

When Caroline Piasecki’s ex-boyfriend posts their sex pictures on the Internet, it destroys her reputation as a nice college girl. Suddenly her once-promising future doesn’t look so bright. Caroline tries to make the pictures disappear, hoping time will bury her shame. Then a guy she barely knows rises to her defense and punches her ex to the ground.

West Leavitt is the last person Caroline needs in her life. Everyone knows he’s shady. Still, Caroline is drawn to his confidence and swagger—even after promising her dad she’ll keep her distance. On late, sleepless nights, Caroline starts wandering into the bakery where West works.

They hang out, they talk, they listen. Though Caroline and West tell each other they’re “just friends,” their feelings intensify until it becomes impossible to pretend. The more complicated her relationship with West gets, the harder Caroline has to struggle to discover what she wants for herself—and the easier it becomes to find the courage she needs to fight back against the people who would judge her.

When all seems lost, sometimes the only place to go is deeper. 

*Released January 28th 2015 from Bantam Books*
My Thoughts
After finishing Deeper, I let myself cry for a bit because it was soooo sad, but the ending was also beautifully written. I was touched. I was affected by the last words.

Then my brain caught up and I was in all caps mode--an OMFG mode. I was processing HOW FREAKIN' AMAZING THE BOOK WASI oftentimes get into this mode for books that remain my favorites. It's kinda hard to forget hat a book made you feel that way.

Now, why is this a must read?
Eight Reasons You Need to Read Deeper
1. It's steamy. Whoa.
2. West had an amazing arc that is still going (there's a sequel).
  • He was so closed off and definitely made a lot of mistakes, but he grew--man, did he take some big steps
3. Caroline is one of the best NA heroines that I've ever met!She gave it to people straight.
  • She also grew. A TON.
  • She was a freakin' boss. She was confident, though she felt a bit beat down in the beginning (naked photos online + betrayal + horrible comments + fear of dad seeing them + uncertainty of their affect on her future = a heavy weight on anyone).
  • She wouldn't back down.
  • She loved deeply. (Hey, there's one reason for the title.)
  • She was an inspiration. It felt like I could look up to this lady for the way she handled situations. I was able to say "GO CAROLINE" a few times.
4. Speaking of . . . this book features amazing ways of approaching situations.
  • A horrible ex? A father that, even though he still loves you, still judges you? A guy that is acting unreasonable and selfish? All of these situations were handled in positive, headstrong ways that I really wish were part of more books. 
5. Sex positivity trumps slut shaming.
  • This book deals with this a LOT. There was a lot of shame (misplaced) in the beginning, and it Caroline was on a road to realizing that it wasn't her fault--that her trust was betrayed and that she had nothing to be ashamed of.
6. There were amazing messages about sex positivity, strength, love, and friendship.
  • Why going deeper is worth it. Why you shouldn't pass up the opportunity to go deeper. Why you should even when you're in an ugly world.
"When you've got a shot at deeper, you have to fist your hands in its T-shirt and pull it closer. Tug until the fabric rips. Yank at it, reel it in until it's naked up against your belly and you're starving and fully, desperate and satiated, dizzy and grounded.

You have to, because ugliness is everywhere."
7. There's a balanced romance. And it's fun!
  • Caroline and West's relationship had a very healthy balance, and it just made me love the characters even more than I did when they were just becoming friends. They were equals!
  • West was a jerk in some moments before this balance came to be, but he does grow from that (you'll have to read the book to see how that happens).
8. It'll either teach you or remind you what New Adult is all about. You'll have to read it to see for yourself, but I do have some quotes to close this list with . . .
"Today won't be the day this breaks me."
"The world hasn't changed, but I have."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.