2. West had an amazing arc that is still going (there's a sequel).
- He was so closed off and definitely made a lot of mistakes, but he grew--man, did he take some big steps
- She also grew. A TON.
- She was a freakin' boss. She was confident, though she felt a bit beat down in the beginning (naked photos online + betrayal + horrible comments + fear of dad seeing them + uncertainty of their affect on her future = a heavy weight on anyone).
- She wouldn't back down.
- She loved deeply. (Hey, there's one reason for the title.)
- She was an inspiration. It felt like I could look up to this lady for the way she handled situations. I was able to say "GO CAROLINE" a few times.
- A horrible ex? A father that, even though he still loves you, still judges you? A guy that is acting unreasonable and selfish? All of these situations were handled in positive, headstrong ways that I really wish were part of more books.
- This book deals with this a LOT. There was a lot of shame (misplaced) in the beginning, and it Caroline was on a road to realizing that it wasn't her fault--that her trust was betrayed and that she had nothing to be ashamed of.
- Why going deeper is worth it. Why you shouldn't pass up the opportunity to go deeper. Why you should even when you're in an ugly world.
"When you've got a shot at deeper, you have to fist your hands in its T-shirt and pull it closer. Tug until the fabric rips. Yank at it, reel it in until it's naked up against your belly and you're starving and fully, desperate and satiated, dizzy and grounded.
You have to, because ugliness is everywhere."
7. There's a balanced romance. And it's fun!
- Caroline and West's relationship had a very healthy balance, and it just made me love the characters even more than I did when they were just becoming friends. They were equals!
- West was a jerk in some moments before this balance came to be, but he does grow from that (you'll have to read the book to see how that happens).
"Today won't be the day this breaks me."
"The world hasn't changed, but I have."