Monday, April 25, 2016

How My Week Went ~ AuthorAThon Recap

This is going up a couple days later than usual, but I wanted to include everything I read for the #AuthorAThon last week! I'm still having some issues with my laptop, so I'm typing this on my phone. Hopefully the formatting looks okay. :)

Reading Update
Death Note: Black Edition vol. 1 by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata (4 stars) - I was happy with this one! The characters look a little different from the anime. Something about the faces...it just took a little bit to get used to.

The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May (4 stars) - This book was AWESOME. Mostly. I had very little interest in the plot. But characters, action, world, humor, cliffhanger, and feels? YES.

Ruined by Amy Tintera (3 stars) - Grr. I'm a little upset with this one because I liked it SO MUCH. For about 60%. Then I started thinking of the specific things I liked and...there wasn't much. The pacing and premise were great, but there were so many things that lacked for me.

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston (4.5 stars) - Ahh, this didn't disappoint! This is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. The heartbreaking part was the rape, but the heartwarming part came from the amazing support Hermione received and the choices she makes. My review will be posted on ReadingTeen.net

This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp (?? stars) - I'm really disappointed! It's definitely a sad book because school shootings are horrible and heartbreaking. As a novel, though, it didn't leave a huge impact. I didn't cry. AND I ALWAYS CRY. I believe that was because of the writing, but I'll leave that for my review.

Traffick by Ellen Hopkins (4 stars) - This was a pretty positive story! I really liked seeing these improve their lives.

Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee by Mary G. Johnston (5 stars) - Well. I'm not going to forget about this one anytime soon. I strongly recommend this one if you can handle dark, brutal YA. Amy and her cousin Dee were kidnapped by a really creepy guy and she (only Amy) returns six years later, but keeps a lot of what happened a secret. I'll save most of my thoughts for my review, but THIS BOOK. IT'S SO SAD. My review will be posted on ReadingTeen.net.

I also read 570 pages of Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and it's pretty good! It doesn't feel as long as it is (it's 800+ pages long).

Readathon Progress
ARC April - 11 (the four purple bold titles added to this!)

AuthorAThon challenges and what I read for them:

1- Read a book by one of your favorite authors - Traffick

2- Read a new-to-you author - Exit, Pursued by a Bear and Amy Chelsea Stacie Dee (different than what I originally planned, but that's okay)

3- Give an author a second chance - Ruined

4- Read a debut author (2015 or 2016) 
- This is Where it Ends 

5- Read a book written by more than one author - Death Note

6- Read a book from an author who is from a different continent than you are 
- Death Note (or The Vanishing Throne, which I started before the readathon).

I MET ALL THE CHALLENGES. I NEVER DO THIS WELL WITH READATHONS. I feel accomplished. :D 
Music

I LOVE THIS SONG.
Discoveries
Er. I didn't do much discovering this week outside of watching a bunch of Top 5 Wednesday videos. Oh, I also discovered #RYBSAT (I think that stands for Read Your Bookshelf A Thon), which is taking place from May 1st through May 8th. I decided to go with a mystery TBR since most of my TBR books are backwards on my shelf right now (it's a thing I'm testing out).
General Life Blogging Stuff
I said I would have a post about stepping back from Twitter last week, but...I backed out of it. So I'll include a summary of it here! I'm stepping back because constantly worrying about my interactions and what others think of me when I'm on there and that's not good and that's gotten to be a really negative part of my life. I'm stepping back to give my mind a break and to (hopefully) figure out how to worry less. I've been more or less off Twitter for two weeks now and my mood has gotten better! I just wish I could get my computer to work so I can do a bunch of blogging...

I'm still tweeting occasionally! I'm using the Hootsuite app so I can notifications of mentions and messages. So I'm stepping back completely.
Plans For The Upcoming Week
I wish I could say I knew what I was posting this week, but I'm not sure! I have a couple discussion-type things that I may post.

That's it for this week!

How was your week? Read anything great?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.