Thursday, May 19, 2016

Mingling With Books (Test Run #1)

I'm trying out a new feature! It's a way to showcase upcoming releases as well as some older books I have discovered and books I'm hoping to read soon. I'm going to post it once or twice as test runs to see how they go, then I'll decide on whether I'll keep it around or not. I had some fun with it. :)

The Intro
You know how there's a lot of mingling at parties (like a conference mixer or a dinner party)? You may meet new people or catch up with old acquaintances. Well, I mingle with books at...let's just call it a bookish party, okay? This is an account of the latest books I've mingled with. I shook hands with some and just glanced at others. I'll do my best to describe what my first impressions are: what I learned about the book, when it releases/ed, who wrote it, how exciting I am, etc. I would like to post these little recaps every two weeks or so, but who knows what'll happen?

The Mingling
The first book I get at this party was Spells and Sorcery by S. Usher Evans, and . . . I may have screeched. I reacted in an all capsy way because I DIDN'T KNOW SUSH WAS WORKING ON ANOTHER SERIES. I can't say anything about the cover because there isn't one yet, but I can say that I've enjoyed all of the five books I've read by this author. After I calmed down, this book told me a little about itself! A documentary and Twitter loving teen is told that she is magical and proceeds to have trou le controlling her power. Then a guy--maybe bad, maybe not--shows up and tries to help her control it. That's the bare bones of what I know. Based on my previous experience with the author's other books, I have a feeling this will entertain me. :) It's the start of a YA paranormal series and releases on October 18th!

Then I met Unbreak My Heart by Nicole Jacqueline, who I met through Kelly @ Live Love Read YA. I had heart eyes from first sight! Its cover is super pretty. THOSE COLORS. I have a thing for soft, neutral colors on contemporary romances. This book gave me a sad intro. Girl's best friend dies in accident and is survived by four kids and a military husband; girl drops everything to help with parenting; girl and guy (the military husband) sleep together a year later; guy is deployed for seven months; mysterious betrayal occurs upon his homecoming. It sounds like it'll break my heart instead of unbreak it. Betrayal? Grief? Guilt? Sudden parenthood? Eeeeek. That's a lot to take in and I'M SO READY FOR IT.

Sandra @ Reads and Reviews introduced me to She Laughs in Pink by Jessica Calla, telling me that it's a great NA. This one just released on May 17th. This book and I stumbled a bit upon meeting . . . as I accidentally pre-ordered it. Luckily, we hit it off, so we just rolled with the mistake. This is about a girl who follows her best friend--the guy she loves and wants a relationship with--to college, but meets this guy named Chase. Her best friend's roommate. I'm a sucker for this type of story (romance between someone and a friend of a friend/family member), so I'm really excited to spend more time with this one!

I spotted This is Not a Love Story by Keren David, which released on May 7th. This may have been pointed out by a friend, but I'm not sure. Anyway, we haven't officially met yet. This is one of those books that I just glanced at and noticed how pretty it is. I looked at some shelves it's made its way on, I saw GLBT, travel, and romance mentioned.

Towards the end of the party, I decided to meet up with some TBR buddies to make plans. I searched for You by Caroline Kepnes (there was a library), but it hid from me. *coughs* Rude. *coughs* I decided to make plans with The Gracekeepers by Kirsty Logan instead. It's a magical realism book featuring a floating circus. I was told friends of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern would loving hanging out with it. I've also been trying to settle on plans with All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders.

Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes yelled out for my attention and begged me to stop postponing our plans. (Whoops.) So, I guess I'll l do that soon. I'm slightly intimidated by it because I want to love it. I really like this author! What if her newest book and I don't get along? What if our plans end badly?? *sweats nervously* I actually don't know much about it, but I know there's...bad luck and tennis. I think.


What books have you met lately? What are you looking forward to reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.