Monday, June 6, 2016

A Messy Situation | Unbreak My Heart by Nicole Jacquelyn (Blog Tour)

Hello and welcome to my stop on the Unbreak My Heart blog tour! Thank you to the Corvisiero Literary Agency for organizing it and allowing me to participate! I have a review to share for my stop. :)



*I received an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
If you're Kate Evans, you keep your friend Rachel, bond with her kids, and bury your feelings for her husband. The fact that Shane's in the military and away for long periods helps-but when tragedy strikes, everything changes.

After Rachel, pregnant with her fourth child, dies in a car accident and the baby miraculously survives, Kate upends her entire life to share parenting duties. Then on the first anniversary of Rachel's death, Kate and Shane take comfort in each other in a night that they both soon regret.

Shane's been angry for a year, and now he feels guilty too - for sleeping with his wife's best friend and liking it . . . liking her. Kate's ability to read him like a book may have once sent Shane running, but their lives are forever entwined and they are growing closer.

Now with Shane deployed for seven months, Kate is on her own and struggling with being a single parent. Shane is loving and supportive from thousands of miles away, but his homecoming brings a betrayal Kate never saw coming. So Kate's only choice is to fight for the future she deserves - with or without Shane...

*Released June 6th 2016 from Forever*
My Thoughts
Unbreak My Heart was an interesting book to experience! I ended up really disliking one of the main characters, but that didn't make me dislike the book itself. I actually had a really good time reading it and thinking about what worked and what didn't for me. 

It was so hard to put up with Shane. He was an asshat. (He's the first character I've ever described with that word, so...) He was inconsiderate and rude and so. Darn. Selfish. He does become a better person by the end of the book, but I never warmed up to him quite enough to say that I liked him. I did respect his character growth, though. There were some eye-opening breakthroughs in there. Shane was meant to undergo changes in his attitude and that author seemed to accomplish that. The differences I noticed in his POV and in the way other characters viewed him towards the end made that character growth stand out to me.

Kate, on the other hand, was wonderful! She had to go through SO MUCH and I always felt defensive of her in the moments when Shane didn't seem to *get it*. His life wasn't the only one that had changed. I liked seeing Kate becoming less and less willing to bend for other people. She still gave second (or third) chances, but she made Shane work for it. She called him out on his actions often, which made me sooo happy to see. A big part of her story was showing that she wasn't a doormat. She had a big heart and was willing to work things through in a messy situation. That didn't mean she wouldn't confront people.

There was a huge focus on family. Foster care, large families, and non traditional households all had an emphasis. Kate and Shane's families showed up quite often, mainly to help them out with the kids. There was a lot of names to keep track of! The kids were obviously a major part of the book. Most of the scenes probably featured at least one in some way, even if it was just when Shane or Kate were talking or thinking about them. I absolutely ADORED those kids. The large spotlight on family and parenting was probably my favorite part. It made up for where the romance lacked. The parenting focus was also refreshing because I rarely read books with parents as main characters. I found the struggles and joys these characters went through as parents to be really interesting.

The romance lacked for me mainly because I didn't like Shane. How much can you really like a romance if you don't like half of the couple? Not much! I doubted their relationship. There were moments when it felt like they couldn't possibly work things out and officially be together. There were some nice and surprising scenes that made me see them as a better couple, though. The more intimate scenes (not necessarily the steamy ones, but the occasional private moments between Shane and Kate) were oddly refreshing. Something about them rung...honest? I'm not sure why! I liked seeing their relationship change and see those nice moments happen more often. So, while I didn't love the romance, I found it to be very interesting.

Unbreak My Heart was a pretty good read! The romance may work really well for some readers and not work at all for others. It depends on how you react to the characters. If you're looking for a book with a huge focus on family and parenting and follows characters in a very messy situation, I recommend that you give this one a go. It's an interesting ride to go on!
About Nicole Jacquelyn

Nicole Jacquelyn is the mom of two little girls and a full time college student. She hasn’t watched television in well over a year, she still does things that drive her mother crazy, and she loves to read. At eight years old, when asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, she told people she wanted to be a mom. 

When she was twelve her answer changed- to author. By the time she was eighteen, when people asked her what she wanted to do with her life, she told them she really wanted to be a writer- but the odds of that happening were so slim that she’d get her business degree “just to be safe”. Her dreams stayed constant. First she became a mom, then she went to college, and during her senior year- with one daughter in first grade and the other in preschool, she sat down and wrote a story.


Goodreads | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.