Sunday, July 31, 2016

Let's Freak Out Together | 2016 Mid Year Book Freakout Tag

Hello! I've been really into watching booktube these past few months and one thing I've definitely seen a lot of is tags (seriously, there are so many--more than in the blogosphere, I think). Obviously that means I want to join in on the fun! Because why not?

The Mid Year Book Freakout Tag was created by Ely @ Ely Jayne and Chami @ ReadLikeWildfire and it's just like the title says. It's about our reading progress for the year so far and what else we want to read before the the year ends! Thank you to Michelle @ MichEllisLife for tagging me on Twitter. She posted a video for this tag. :)

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2016. 
There's a nice amount of books that could go along with one as a tie, but it doesn't feel QUITE accurate to do that. I absolutely LOVED Firsts. I haven't written an official review because my notes were a bit...long. Everything I had to say about Mercedes was my average review length and then of course I had MORE to say and I just . . . haven't figured out how to make it into something anyone would have the patience to read. (ONE DAY, THOUGH.) It's definitely not a book for everyone, but it sure was bold. I'm becoming more and more a fan of bold books because they bring up a lot of questions and can inspire a great conversation. As time has gone on, my appreciation for this story has increased. It's just made me love it more.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2016.
This is the obvious choice for me! The story and world and the characters--especially the characters--have only gotten better. It's a strong sequel for sure. This series is a bandwagon you should definitely be on!! 

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to.
The Long Game and The King Slayer are two of my most anticipated releases of the year. I really liked the first books in their respective series, but didn't LOVE them, so I find it funny that I've been way more excited to read these sequels than the ones to books I rated 5 stars last year. If I Was Your Girl has been catching my eye a lot these past couple months and every time I hear about it, I just become more excited for it!

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
This is surprisingly very easy to pick! There aren't many summer and fall releases that I absolutely NEED TO READ. I love The Remnant Chronicles and I'm excited to see how The Beauty of Darkness wraps up the series. I miss the characters!

5. Biggest disappointment.
Hi, my name is Kaitlin and I love hardhitting contemporaries and I get way too emotional over them. I get very involved in the topics and themes addressed and I love to let myself sink into the characters' shoes (as much as possible) and feel the emotions they're feeling. 

I wasn't able to do that with This is Where It Ends and I hate that. It's not the worst book I've read this year, but it's one I was SURE I would love. I didn't like how this one was written.

6. Biggest surprise.
This is a dark erotica that book-recommending-superstar Holly put on my radar. The description made me uncomfortable and I was sure I was going to hate the book, but I . . . didn't. I actually consider it one of my favorite books of the year based on how much it made me think and how memorable it became. I hate parts of this book and love others. I have to admit that I really like it when that happens because then it forces me to think more deeply about why I liked certain parts but not others.

7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you)
Another easy answer! It's obvious that I'm a fan of S. Usher Evan's books. I binge read her Razia series despite not liking to binge read series. I get tired of staying in the same bookish world for book after book, but even after reading the four Razia books, I wanted more. Besides Brian K. Vaughn (because graphic novels), I believe she's the author I've read the most from so far this year. I've read seven so far and anticipate reading three more by January.

8. Newest fictional crush.
XANDER. What I forgot to mention in my review was that he's someone I would probably be at least slighly attracted to if he was a real person. Or, at least, he and I could become fast friends. I absolutely loved him!

9. Newest favourite character.
Meg from Written in Red is ridiculously loveable. She's kind and hardworking and endearing. I loved watching so many of the characters (who hate humans, by the way) practically melt around her and bend over backwards to keep her safe and happy. 

10. Book that made you cry.

If you don't want even the slightest hint about what happens in Ruin and Rising, I advise you to skip this answer.
I haven't been so devastated by a series ending in YEARS. I remember reacting similarly to Ignite Me, but that was preemptive crying. I actually broke down during the happiest part of that book, but MOVING ON. I read the majority of Ruin and Rising in a day, but then suddenly stopped reading it in the middle of the climax so I could recover.

11. Book that made you happy.
Oh, what a nice question to follow that last one! Say Yes to the Marquess was my first regency romance and I was so pleased with it. It gave me the same feeling I get from watching a really good romantic comedy. It made me laugh and smile. :)

12. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)

I'm going with Map of Fates because it's so PINK and pretty and *all the heart eyes*

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
O_O Everything? I have so many books I want to read as soon as I can. It's only slightly overwhelming because I have to figure out what to read sooner and which ones to push back for awhile longer.

14. Favourite Book Community Member (Blogger, Booktuber and Bookstagrammer)

I'm actually going to narrow this down to one blogger and one booktuber based on how much I've talked to these ladies away from public Twitter. I don't actually interact with many bookish friends outside of my Twitter feed. And hey, I already mentioned both of these ladies! 

Holly @ The Fox's Hideaway - This is the blogger I can DM random (or not so random) reading updates to without really worrying that I'm bugging her. She actually looks forward to it, I think. Outside of the DMs, I also visit and comment on her blog the most and I feel really comfortable being all capsy and random there (sometimes even more comfortable than when I'm writing my own blog posts). She gives the best book recommendations and writes reviews that make me NEED to read the book she's writing about. 

Michelle @ MichEllisLife - I've only known Michelle for a few months and we've already become friends. We chatted a bit on YouTube before we even first interacted on Twitter, which it pretty awesome because I almost always connect with readers on Twitter first. I simply love talking to her and watching her videos and getting to know her. It's really easy to have a conversation with her and I'm excited to get to know her more!

Bonus fact: My friendship with Holly is one of the longest lasting ones I've had in the book community and my friendship with Michelle is one of the newest. I just thought that was cool. :)

And that's it! What's the best book you've read this year so far? Have you done this tag or a post similar to it? If so, I would love to check it out!

I tag:

Kaitlin @ Next Page Please!

Happy Reading! ~ Kaitlin 😃

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello potential commenter! Thank you for visiting my blog! Comments always brighten my day. :) I'll try to reply as soon as I can.